Thursday, May 21, 2026

Concerns about missing Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai intensified after emails sparked suspicion-CNET


Worries are growing The safety of Chinese tennis stars After the heads of the women’s professional tennis tournament questioned the legitimacy of an email published by the Chinese state media, they blamed it on tennis players.

Peng Shuai, 35, posted a post on the Chinese social media site Weibo earlier this month accusing Zhang Gaoli, the former deputy prime minister of China, of sexual assault, but her post was quickly deleted and she has not appeared in public since.

On Wednesday morning, China’s state-owned television broadcaster CGTN released an email claiming that the email was written by Shuai after people were worried about her safety. The email was written in her voice and claimed that she was not missing or harmed: “I am just resting at home and everything is fine.”

The story continues below the ad

Steve Simon, President of the Women’s Tennis Association Shared a statement later in the day Confirmed that he had read the email, but asked for more evidence that it was written by Shuai.


Click to play the video:



The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs refuses to comment on the whereabouts of tennis star Peng Shuai


The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs refuses to comment on the whereabouts of tennis star Peng Shuai

“The statement issued by the Chinese state media today…will only cause me concerns about her safety and whereabouts. I can hardly believe that Peng Shuai actually wrote the emails we received, or believe that it is due to her,” he said.

“WTA and the rest of the world need independent and verifiable evidence to prove that she is safe. I have tried multiple communication methods to contact her, but to no avail.”

As an overseas branch of CCTV, CGTN is one of many propaganda tools developed by the ruling Communist Party.it has been Repeatedly sanctioned Charged by the British television watchdog Ofcom for broadcasting the forced confession of British businessmen, Hong Kong booksellers and employees of the British consulate in Hong Kong.

The story continues below the ad

Former women’s doubles ranked first, three-time Olympian Shuai Shuai, Claim that she was “forced” to have sex According to BBC reports, he was with Zhang from 2013 to 2018. The November 2 post was deleted from her verified account on Weibo, China’s leading social media platform, and the country’s state media suppressed all reports of the case. Screenshots of the post continue to circulate on the Internet.

The story continues below the ad

A spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs told reporters on Thursday Did not share any details When asked about the situation.

“This is not a foreign matter.” Zhao Lijian said. “And I don’t know the relevant situation you mentioned.”

read more:

2 men will be acquitted for killing Malcolm X

Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka Share her worries Working hard for Shuai’s happiness on Twitter on Tuesday.

Osaka wrote: “I recently learned that a tennis player disappeared shortly after revealing that she was sexually abused.” “A review at all costs is not acceptable. I hope Peng Shuai and her family are safe.”

The story continues below the ad

The men’s number one Novak Djokovic told NBC News on Monday, The situation is “shocking” He couldn’t “imagine how her family felt.”

Other professional tennis players have similar views, using the hashtag #WhereisPengShuai.

Amnesty International called on China to prove Shuai is safe and investigate allegations of sexual assault, saying that China “systematically suppressed the country’s #MeToo movement.”

“Peng’s recent so-called’everything is fine’ statement should not be regarded as the face value of the Chinese official media A record of obsessive statements Being coerced from individuals, or simply fabricating them. Unless Peng’s safety and whereabouts are confirmed, these concerns will not disappear,” Amnesty International’s China researcher Liu Duolian told CNN.

The story continues below the ad

“Peng Shuai’s case highlights the treatment faced by female survivors of sexual abuse in China. Their accusations are often ignored and often become outspoken targets.”

Heather Bowler, a spokesman for the International Tennis Federation, said Thursday that the governing body is in contact with the Chinese Tennis Association and is in contact with the WTA and the International Olympic Committee.

read more:

A nasal vaccine used to treat Alzheimer’s disease will be tested in U.S. clinical trials

“Player safety is always our top priority, and we support a full and transparent investigation of this matter,” Bowler wrote in an email to the Associated Press. “Although we did not talk to the players, we are keeping in touch with the China National Tennis Association CTA if they can provide any further information or updates.”

— File from the Associated Press

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img