A suicide bomber killed at least 35 people and wounded dozens of others in a crowded market near Sadr. Baghdad On Monday, before Eid al-Adha, security and hospital sources said.
Police sources said more than 60 people were injured.
The organization’s Nasher News Agency stated on Telegram that the Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack. It said that one of the militants blew up his explosive vest in the crowd.
Hospital sources said the death toll may rise due to the critical condition of some of the wounded.
The Prime Minister’s Office said in a brief statement that Prime Minister Mustafa Kadimi held an emergency meeting with senior security commanders to discuss the attack.
President Barham Saleh tweeted: “They committed terrible crimes targeting civilians in Sadr City on the eve of Eid al-Fitr…We will not rest until terrorism is eradicated. “

In April this year, the Sunni Muslim militant group ISIS claimed responsibility for a car bomb attack in a market in Sadr City, Baghdad’s main Shiite Muslim community, which killed 4 people and injured 20 others.
ISIS also claimed responsibility for the bombing that took place in the crowded Tajaran Plaza market in central Baghdad in January last year, which killed more than 30 people-the first large-scale suicide bombing in Iraq in three years.
Large bomb attacks occur in the Iraqi capital almost every day, but since the defeat of the Islamic State’s invasion of northern and western Iraq in 2017, such attacks have decreased.





