The Canadian Department of Global Affairs has confirmed that there are no reports of the so-called symptoms of Canadian diplomats stationed in the Austrian capital. Havana syndrome.
The response was issued after the department did not respond initially, and was issued after the Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued it Confirm that the report is being investigated U.S. diplomat in Vienna The reported symptoms are consistent with the symptoms of the mysterious disease, It first made headlines in 2017.
The department’s spokesperson, John Babcock, said in an email on Thursday: “There are currently no reports of health incidents in Canadians in Vienna, and we will continue to monitor the situation closely.”
“We will continue to keep in touch with our employees and all other relevant governments in Vienna.”
Babcock’s latest news came after Global News issued a statement provided by the department on Thursday morning, which did not answer specific questions sent to them on Tuesday about whether Canadian diplomats in Vienna reported symptoms.
The initial response only stated that the Canadian Department of Global Affairs “is in contact with our staff in Vienna and other governments” and that the department “maintains strict security protocols to immediately respond to any issues affecting Canadian diplomats or their family members abroad. Abnormal event. ”
However, the Canadian Department of Global Affairs still did not answer several questions in the initial inquiry: among them, whether any additional security advice was provided to Canadian diplomats, or whether the Canadian Embassy in Vienna is currently reviewing the risk rating of the Canadian Embassy.
In 2016 and 2017, after dozens of Canadian diplomats and their families in Havana, Cuba reported symptoms, the embassy there increased risk levels.
The Havana Embassy was reclassified as an unaccompanied position in 2018. This means that diplomats stationed there are not allowed to bring family members.
A spokesperson for the Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that officials “maintain regular contact with all diplomatic missions in Austria”, but declined to comment further on specific details.
“We take these reports very seriously. Based on our role as the host country, we cooperate with the US authorities to conduct investigations,” Gabriele Juen said.
“The safety of the diplomats sent to Austria and their families is our top priority.”
Nearly a year after the last “Havana Syndrome” case, the military police evacuated from the Canadian Embassy
The Canadian Department of Global Affairs stated that there have been no newly confirmed reports of Havana syndrome among Canadian diplomats since December 2018. But they did not explain why the embassy’s risk rating was still unaccompanied, nor did they comment on their assessment of the findings of the two well-known Americans. Report the cause of the mysterious incident.
This National Academy of Sciences releases highly anticipated report in December 2020 The identified “directed pulsed radio frequency energy seems to be the most reasonable cause of the strange and persistent symptoms reported by diplomats.”
The report stated that the “early failure” in the discovery and investigation of these cases has led to a range of theories, ranging from pesticide poisoning to hostile foreign actors’ malicious use of directed energy weapons.
Although the authors of the report pointed out that they were unable to determine whether the pulse energy came from weapons or other sources, “just considering this situation will cause people to have unrestrained malicious actors in the world and new tools that cause harm to others. Seriously worried.”
A high-level editor, Declassified report issued by the U.S. State Department under the Freedom of Information Act The country said earlier this year that the symptoms reported by dozens of U.S. and Canadian diplomats were the result of “targeted actions.”
The report also warned that although “the mechanism of injury, the perpetrator and the motive are still unknown,” the risks faced by diplomats are not over.
Although originally compiled in June 2018, the declassified report was released in February 2021, only two months ago CNN reported on two separate incidents in late 2020 This happened near the White House and affected staff working in the National Security Council.
Global News reported in May 2021 that a letter to Foreign Minister Marc Garneau on behalf of 9 Canadian diplomats and their families stated that there were “at least three” cases among Canadians in 2019 and 2020 .
The letter stated that the Canadian Department of Global Affairs had decided not to disclose new cases.
Earlier, global news reports stated that Canadian diplomats and their family members filed a $28 million lawsuit for persistent neurological symptoms that allegedly persisted during their service in Havana. Three other people joined the lawsuit. They said this has been happening for many years. It continues after that.
The letter stated that Canadian officials did not disclose “at least 3” new cases of Havana syndrome
Over the past year, the government has repeatedly refused to provide clear answers to dozens of questions about its handling of reports of strange symptoms of diplomats.
The official has not resolved Why bureaucrats warned diplomats who went to Cuba in 2017 to remain silent about mysterious symptoms The staff of the Havana embassy reported the incident-and what measures are being taken to protect Canadian diplomats who are still abroad.
Canadian officials warned staff traveling to Cuba to remain silent about “Havana Syndrome”
The mystery began in late 2016 and early 2017, when American diplomats at the Embassy in Havana began to report abnormal symptoms similar to concussions: hearing loss, memory loss, tinnitus, nosebleeds, vision problems, and dizziness.
Canadian diplomats and their families began to report symptoms in the beginning and the following year of 2017, and more than 40 Canadian and American diplomats and their families were affected.
But nearly four years after the mystery was revealed, neither the official nor the Canadian government gave an answer. Is fighting against 15 Canadians who were affected in court, Arguing that the plaintiff has made “exaggerated” Claim.
© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





