FREE: Healthy Freezer Recipes eBook
this Green Cauliflower Casserole is the perfect blend of two amazing recipes: my classic Broccoli Cheese Casserole and my cream Cauliflower Casserole. I’m talking about tender florets of broccoli and cauliflower, all tossed in a creamy cheese sauce and bacon. guess what?this Side dishes It’s as easy to make as it is to enjoy.
Why You’ll Love This Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- Tender broccoli and cauliflower florets
- Creamy and cozy cheese sauce
- Crispy Bacon
- easy to find ingredients
- Ready in less than 30 minutes
- naturally gluten free
- perfect side dish
Ingredients and Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Cauliflower Broccoli Casserole, what each ingredient does in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements see Recipe card below.
- vegetable – Obviously, the stars of this vegetable casserole are the cauliflower and broccoli florets, but you’ll also need onions. I cut the broccoli and cauliflower into florets for quicker cooking, but regular florets will work too. You just need to cook it for a few more minutes. You can also make this casserole if you only have broccoli or cauliflower on hand.
- butter – I used melted unsalted butter, but you can use salted butter, just add a little less salt.
- garlic – Fresh garlic tastes best, but to save time you can use a tablespoon canned minced garlic instead. If necessary, you can simply add 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- cream cheese – This forms the base of the creamy sauce in the Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole. Let the cream cheese sit on the counter for about 30 minutes, until it is spreadable, or microwave in 10-second intervals, turning over between intervals, until soft.
- chicken soup – Adds flavor and thins the sauce.I use reduced sodium Chicken broth, but regular will work too.You can also use vegetable broth or Bone soup.
- cheese – The combination of sharp cheddar and mozzarella creates a rich, melty texture. If you prefer, you can substitute another type of cheese, such as Gruyere, Gouda, Colby, or Parmesan.
- sea salt and black pepper
- cooked bacon – Make Bacon in the oven (my favorite way to make bacon), Air Fryer Baconeven Microwave Bacon. You can also omit it if you prefer.
How to Make Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
This section shows you how to make Cauliflower Broccoli Casserole, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique to help you visualize it.For full instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- Boil the florets. bring one cauldron or dutch oven Bring water to a boil. Add broccoli and cauliflower and cook uncovered until crisp-tender. (Alternatively, you can steam the vegetables in a steamer basket.) Drain and rinse the vegetables under cold water (or shake in a bowl of ice water) to prevent further cooking. Pat dry and place in a bowl.
Tip: Don’t cook all the way through.
You want the broccoli and cauliflower here to be slightly undercooked. Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole will soften even more as you bake them.
- Fry aromatics. Melt the cream over medium heat. Add the onions to the melted cream and cook until translucent. Add minced garlic. Sauté until fragrant.
- Make the sauce. Reduce heat to low. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add chicken stock and stir.
- combine. Add broccoli and cauliflower florets to pot. Add cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, and crumbled bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- gather. Transfer broccoli and cauliflower mixture to a large Baking pan. Sprinkle with more cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Top with more crumbled bacon.
- bake. Place the broccoli and cauliflower casserole in the oven until the cheese is melted and the casserole is hot.
Tip: If you want the cheese to be more browned, grill for 2-3 minutes.
I love this casserole, but here are some ways to take it to the next level:
- cook a meal – Add cooked (diced or shredded) chicken for added protein.I often use the rest Grilled Chicken Breastbut if you don’t have that, you can do Instant Pot Chicken Pretty fast.
- buffalo – Finish with buffalo sauce.You can also mix the cuts Grilled Buffalo Chicken Serve with vegetables and drizzle with buffalo sauce.
- Spinach and Feta – mix in Sautéed Spinach Shredded feta cheese adds a fresh and tangy element to broccoli cauliflower casserole.
- Shop: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Meal Preparation: Cut and blanch broccoli and cauliflower ahead of time. Store in refrigerator until ready to assemble.You can also assemble the entire casserole ahead of time and then bake it dinner.
- Reheat: Heat in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes until hot.
- freeze: You can freeze the cauliflower broccoli casserole before or after you bake it. Allow to come to room temperature, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. You can also freeze individual portions for easier reheating.
What to Serve with Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
Looking for some main dishes to pair with Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Casserole? Here are my top picks:
More Cheesy Vegetable Casserole Recipes
Cheesy vegetarian casseroles are my favorite because they are quick and easy and my kids love them too. Next try some of my other favorites:
Green Cauliflower Casserole
This broccoli cauliflower casserole combines vegetables, creamy sauce, cheese, and optional crispy bacon all in one pot. Simple comfort food!
Prepare: 5 Every minute
chef: 20 Every minute
All: 25 Every minute
Serving size: 8 (Adjust according to recipe proportion)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where you get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Click on the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (232 degrees C).
bring one cauldron or dutch oven Bring water to a boil.Add broccoli and cauliflower and cook uncovered 2-3 minutes for florets or 4-5 minutes For regular-sized florets, cook until crisp-tender. (You want them to be slightly undercooked as they will finish cooking in the oven.) Drain and rinse the vegetables with cold water to prevent further cooking. Pat dry.
In the same pot or Dutch oven, melt the cream over medium heat.Add onions and cook approx. 5 minutesuntil translucent.
Add minced garlic.speculation 1 minuteuntil the fragrance comes out.
Reduce heat to low. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add chicken stock and stir.
Add broccoli and cauliflower florets to pot. Add 1 cup each of cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese, and 6 slices of crumbled bacon (if using). Mix well. Season with salt and pepper and mix again.
Transfer mixture to 9×13 Casserole. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and 3 slices crumbled bacon (if using).
Bake approx. 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and casserole is hot.If you want the cheese to be more browned, grill it 2-3 minutes.
The last step: leave a rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to offer free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutritional information does not include optional bacon.
Amount per serving. Serving sizes in recipe instructions above.
fat 22.3 grams
protein 15.8 grams
total carbohydrates 13.1 grams
net carbs 9.4 grams
fiber 3.7 grams
sugar 4.4 grams
Nutritional facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you’re getting different results?Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes Social media or website. We’d love for you to share a link with a photo. 🙂