This post may contain affiliate links to help keep this content free. (full disclosure)
this Bacon-Wrapped Dates Recipe with Goat Cheese, also known as “The Devil on Horseback,” is a classic appetizer for any occasion! Although this dish is British, I tried them for the first time while visiting the Coachella Valley, where most of the dates in the US come from. and was fascinated.Sweet and savory with tangy goat cheese and a touch of honey Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Dates make them one of the best healthy appetizers and party food. They look elegant but are deceptively simple to make.
Why You’ll Love This Bacon-Wrapped Dates Recipe
- sweet, salty, rich
- Sweet Dates with Cream Cheese and Crispy Bacon
- Only 4 ingredients and 4 steps
- 10 minutes prep time
- Easy to make ahead and bake as needed!
Ingredients and Substitutes
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Bacon-Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Goat Cheese, the role of each ingredient in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements, see Recipe card below.
- Medjool Dates – These are easiest to find and hold their shape during baking, but deglet noor dates work for this recipe as well. You can get any variety to save time.
- bacon – I use regular bacon, but turkey bacon will work too. Thinner pieces will shorten the cooking time. Cut each slice of bacon in half crosswise.
- goat cheese – Sour, creamy goat cheese complements the rich flavor of these dates. I used the creamy one, but crumble is fine as it will melt anyway. You can use other cheeses too – see more ideas in the variations section below!
- Honey – Drizzle honey to seal the flavor of each date.This recipe also works Unsweetened Honey Substitutes.
How to Make Bacon-Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese
This section shows how to make bacon-wrapped stuffed dates, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique to help you visualize it.For complete instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- Prepare. use one small paring knifecut a slit on each date, opening like a book.
- full. Use a small spoon to scoop a little cheese into each date and fold in.
- wrap. Wrap a halved bacon around the date and secure with a toothpick.put in a 9×13 baking pan Or put on a baking sheet.
- chef. Roast the bacon-wrapped dates until the bacon is slightly crisp and the dates are soft.
- Finish. Drizzle the dates with honey. Bake again until the bacon is crisp and caramelized.
- change packaging – Use pancetta or prosciutto instead of bacon.
- try different cheeses – Feta, crumbled blue cheese or cream cheese mix Homemade Italian Seasoning Substituting goat cheese would be delicious.
- Spicy Bacon Stuffed Dates – Mix sriracha with honey for a lively flavor in every bite.
- Maple Glazed Bacon Wrapped Dates – Substitute your favorite maple syrup for the honey (I like to use Sugar-Free Maple Syrup Here too! )
- change the filling – mix sun dried tomatoesnuts (try almonds or pecans), or chopped cranberries (fresh or dried cranberries) into the cheese.
- Shop: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Meal preparation: Assemble date and store for up to 2 days and in refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Reheat: Microwave the dates but place them under the broiler to crisp up the bacon.
Can you freeze bacon wrapped dates?
Yes, you can freeze dates wrapped in bacon – cooked or raw! For unbaked, assemble and freeze on a sheet pan, then store in a ziplock bag. For the cooked dates, use the same process but remove the toothpicks used to hold them together. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 months.
More Bacon Wrap Recipes
If you like this recipe and wrapping food in bacon is your new favorite thing, you’ll love these quick and easy bacon wrap recipes:
Goat Cheese Bacon Wrapped Dates
Bacon-wrapped dates with goat cheese are a classic appetizer! Only 4 ingredients are needed to make this easy bacon-wrapped stuffed dates recipe.
Prepare: 10 minute
chef: 20 minute
All: 30 minute
Serving Size: 10 (Adjust the scale recipe)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Tap the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Cut the date lengthwise, but not all the way. They should open like a flip. If your date doesn’t have a pit yet, delete the pit at this stage.
Spoon goat cheese stuffed into dates.
Wrap each date in half a slice of bacon and top with toothpick. Place in a baking sheet, in a single layer. Don’t overcrowd the dish.
Bacon Wrapped Dates Roasted in the Oven 10 minutes.
remove bakeware Drizzle the honey over the dates. Return the pan and bake for another 10 minutes or so, or until the bacon is crispy to your liking.
Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
Amount per serving. Serving Sizes in Recipe Instructions Above.
fat 10.9 grams
protein 5.5 grams
total carbohydrates 36.3 grams
net carbs 33.1 grams
fiber 3.2 grams
sugar 32 grams
Nutrition Facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about the calculation or why you get different results?see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes to social media or websites. We want you to share the link with the photo. 🙂