Sunday, May 24, 2026

Millionaire was released on bail for treatment after claim for kidnapping and torture in the Caribbean


A millionaire diamond tycoon who claimed to have been kidnapped and tortured returned to Antigua and Barbuda for treatment after the Dominican authorities granted bail.

According to India Express, 62-year-old Mehul Choksi returned to Antigua earlier this week after being detained in the island country since May, after the Dominican High Court ruled that he could not receive adequate medical services there.

As a result, Choksi’s legal team won. They said their client was kidnapped and tortured from Antigua, and taken forcibly to Dominica, where he could be extradited to his country of birth, India, where he was suspected Is wanted in a $1.8 billion bank fraud case.

Michael Pollack, an attorney for Justice Abroad, the legal group, said that Choksey is facing an ordeal that “has an adverse effect on his body.”

Mr. Pollack told Weekly newspaper“We are very pleased that the Dominican Court has made a principled and humanitarian decision to release Mr. Choksi so that he can obtain specialist medical services in Antigua.

“Mr. Choksi has gone through very difficult weeks and has suffered adverse effects on his body. He was able to return to Antigua, where he can get medical care is the right result. He needs to be with his family.”

The millionaire obtained Antigua citizenship in November 2017 before being wanted by the Indian authorities, and renounced his Indian citizenship in July 2018.

He was involved in a lawsuit in Antigua, and the authorities proposed to cancel his citizenship in October 2019.

However, Mr. Polak claimed that Choksi was kidnapped by a London-based organization with the purpose of extraditing him to India and taking him to Dominica.

according to India ExpressAfter Choksi was arrested in Dominica, a jet plane carrying agents of the Central Bureau of Investigation of India landed in Dominica, hoping to send him back to India.

However, the media added that Choksi’s case had been served in a Dominican court on the grounds of illegal entry, forcing the plane to return for a long time.

In a statement given to him before being forwarded to his lawyer Weekly newspaper, Choksi said he was forcibly boarded and tortured during the journey.

Mr. Pollack told earlier Weekly newspaper When Choxie arrived in Dominica, He was held in a 20 square foot cell There was nothing in it, including no mattress for him to rest on.

Weekly newspaper The government of Antigua and the Commonwealth of Dominica have been contacted for comments.

Mehul Choksi attended the Lakme Fashion Week Party in Mumbai, India on October 12, 2007. Choksi returned to Antigua for treatment.
Getty/Prodip Guha



Source link

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img