Earlier Monday, the Miami-Dade Fire and Rescue Team resumed search and rescue operations after officials demolished the remaining part of Champlain Tanan near Miami by a controlled demolition method.
Five more victims were found in the collapsed rubble, bringing the death toll to 27.
Officials hope that controlled demolition will now make expanded search and rescue efforts safer. 118 people are still missing.
Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava (Daniella Levine Cava) said at a press conference on Monday that demolishing the rest of the apartment allows rescuers to work on piles that were previously inaccessible.
Levin Kava said: “Please join me in praying for those who lost their lives, mourning families, and all those who are still waiting.”
The imminent tropical storm Elsa has accelerated the discussion of demolishing the other half of the building. Rescuers worried about a potential hurricane and decided that controlled demolition would limit the location of the building’s collapse.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis said on Monday that demolishing the remaining parts of the collapsed Surfside building is a “good effort” and “right practice” that can help everyone moves forward.
The cause of the collapse is still unknown, and Levine Cava predicts that the investigation will “continue for a long time.”
“This investigation will continue. It’s very complicated,” she said.