This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. (full disclosure)
this Roast Rump Recipe A winner at any party. The combination of aromatic garlic and fresh herbs makes for a perfect blend of flavors while cooking the meat to tender, juicy texture.It makes for a mouth-watering, hearty family dinner or a special-occasion feast that’s more affordable than a meal roast turkey or beef tenderloin.
Why you’ll love this rump roast recipe
- Tender and juicy meat
- golden brown shell
- Infused with garlic and fresh herbs
- Just 6 simple ingredients (plus salt and pepper)
- Minimal hands-on preparation time
- Impressive, yet simple and affordable, special occasion meal
- Use leftovers to make sandwiches, salador in other recipes
What is a rump roast?
Rump roast is an expensive cut of beef that comes from the back of the leg of beef. It’s a lean cut of meat with a lot of connective tissue, so it can be tough if not cooked properly, but when cooked low and slow it becomes incredibly tender and flavorful.
There are two main ways to cook rump roast: In the oven, like Grilled Beef Brisket Tipsor make in the slow cooker i can bake. This roasted beef rump recipe uses the first method, resulting in a tender inside and perfectly browned exterior.
Ingredients and Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for cooking beef rump roast, the role of each ingredient in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements see Recipe card below.
- rump roast – This cut is similar to a roast, but leaner. Look for roasts that are well-marbled for optimal flavor and tenderness. If possible, choose ones with even thickness so they cook as evenly as possible.
- garlic – This rump roast recipe calls for whole cloves of garlic. Cut them in half.
- olive oil – This locks in moisture and helps the seasoning stick. You can also use avocado oil or any other heat-resistant oil.
- fresh herbs – I used a combination of fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage, but you can use any fresh herbs of your choice (3 tablespoons total). If you need to use dried herbs, use one teaspoon of dried herbs for each tablespoon of fresh herbs.You can also simply use a tablespoon italian seasoning For convenience.
- sea salt and black pepper
How to Cook a Rump Roast
This section shows how to make rump tenders, with step-by-step photos and details on the technique to help you visualize it.For full instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- Stuff the roast with garlic. Use a sharp knife to cut small slits all over the roast (in different areas and spaced apart) and insert the garlic cloves into the slits.
- Mix seasonings. In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, rosemary, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Season the meat. Spread oil and herb mixture evenly over roast, covering all sides.
- Start baking over high heat. Place rump roast on grill Baking pan and transfer to the middle rack. Place the rump roast in the oven and roast over medium-high heat for half an hour.
Tip: To shorten the cooking time, you can grill the outside in a cast iron Dutch oven.
Brown on all sides over high heat until a brown crust forms, then oven process on lower heat underneath. (Oven times may vary if using this method.)
- Reduce heat and bake slowly. Continue baking at a lower temperature until toasted to your liking. (See times and temperatures below.)
- Rest and serve. Remove roast from oven. Wrap the top with foil and let rest before slicing. (Resting is important to ensure it stays juicy!)
Rump Roast Recipe Cooking Time
The cooking time for your rump roast recipe depends on the method you use. The dish is cooked over high heat to form a brown crust, then over low heat to soften.
The time required can vary greatly depending on the size of the roast and how roasted you want it to be.For best results, use probe thermometer (will beep when ready!), but regular meat thermometer Also works. Use this temperature chart as a guide:
|115-120 degrees Fahrenheit (46-49 degrees Celsius)
|125-130 degrees Fahrenheit (52-54 degrees Celsius)
|135-140 degrees Fahrenheit (57-60 degrees Celsius)
|145-150 degrees Fahrenheit (63-66 degrees Celsius)
Note: The times above are when you remove the rump roast from the oven. The internal temperature will rise an additional 5-10 degrees during rest.
- Shop: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Meal Preparation: Preparing ahead is an easy way to make sandwiches, wraps, or add to other dishes.
- Reheat: Heat the slices in the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and the whole roast to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- freeze: Place in an airtight container or freezer bag (whole or sliced) and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
What to serve with rump roast recipe
This rump roast recipe can be paired with a variety of side dishes to create a hearty family dinner or even a special occasion. Here are some ideas:
- potato – Serve with creamy mashed potatoes (or Cauliflower puree), crispy baked potatoeseven Roasted sweet potato Enjoy a comforting and satisfying meal.
- vegetable – Pair with your favorites grilled vegetablesFor example Roasted Cauliflowercrispy Roasted Kaleor any combination you like. Roasted Root Vegetables, like carrots, beets, and parsnips, perfect for fall and winter!If you want to cook the veggies while roasting the rump in the oven, try mung bean almond or Sautéed Broccoli.
- sauce – Use the pan drippings to make a delicious gravy to serve with a creamy mushroom sauce, or try a tangy horseradish sauce for extra flavor.
There are so many ways to use leftover beef rump! Here are some ideas:
- salad – Serve with lettuce or other greens with some cherry tomatoes, red onion and a pinch of lemon vinaigrette A delicious and satisfying meal – similar to classic dishes steak salad.
- roast beef sandwich – Slice the rump roast into thin slices and spread on your choice of bread.I like to add arugula caramelized onionsand Swiss cheese, and use a lighter bread option, e.g. almond flour bread or 90 second bread.
- Casserole – Layer the slices into Reuben Casserole Instead of corned beef.
More special occasion barbecues
Looking for more amazing food? Try some of my other easy beef recipes:
Rump Roast Recipe (Tender and Juicy)
Everyone will love this juicy, tender rump roast recipe seasoned with a blend of aromatic garlic and fresh herbs. An impressive, easy meal!
Prepare: 15 minute
chef: 2 Hour
All: 2 Hour 15 minute
Serving size: 8 (Adjust according to recipe proportion)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where you get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Click on the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Make 10 small slits in the roast, in different areas and spaced apart. Insert the halved garlic clove into the slit.
In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, rosemary, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Spread the oil/herb mixture evenly over the roast, covering all sides.
Place the barbecue on Baking pan.Bake the rump roast in the oven 30 minutes.
Reduce heat to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C) and continue baking another 1-2.5 hours, until the internal temperature reaches 115-120 degrees Fahrenheit (46-49 degrees Celsius) (rare), 125-130 degrees Fahrenheit (52-54 degrees Celsius) (medium rare), 135-140 degrees Fahrenheit (57-60 degrees Celsius) (rare) ) for medium, or 145-150 degrees Fahrenheit (63-66 degrees Celsius) for medium-good. (My roast took 90 minutes for medium-rare – the time will vary depending on the size and shape of the roast and how done you want it.)
Remove roast from oven.Tent the top with aluminum foil and let sit 10-15 days minute. (The internal temperature will rise another 5-10 degrees.)
The last step: leave a rating!
Share your recipe images via tags @wholesomeyum and add tags to it #wholesomeyum exist Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 6 ounces rump roast, or 1/8 of the entire recipe
Amount per serving. Serving sizes in recipe instructions above.
Calories Chapter 289
fat 13.6 grams
protein 38 grams
total carbohydrates 1.2 grams
net carbs 0.9 grams
Nutritional facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you’re getting different results?Please check out our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes Social media or website. We’d love for you to share a link with a photo. 🙂