Sunday, May 24, 2026

Surfside victims and families will initially receive $150 million in compensation, the judge said


Victims and families affected by the collapse of an apartment in Surfside, Florida, will receive at least $150 million in compensation.

According to the Associated Press, Miami-Dade Circuit Court Judge Michael Hanzman announced the news at a hearing on Wednesday. Hanzman said the court’s focus “has always been victims” and their “rights will be protected.”

The $150 million payment includes the insurance of the Champlain Towers South building and the expected proceeds from the sale of the property where the building is located. According to court documents, someone has asked about buying the property at a price of between 100 million and 110 million U.S. dollars.

The compensation does not include the costs of litigation filed since the collapse on June 24. Hanzman said on Wednesday that he had no doubt “spare no effort” in the lawsuit.

The collapse has caused at least 97 deaths. Except for the two victims, everyone else has been confirmed by the authorities.

During the search and recovery work, staff have removed more than 20 million pounds of debris and concrete. Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said earlier this month that the operation is nearing completion.

On July 12, Burkert said: “The search will continue until everyone trapped in the rubble is pulled out. It is clear that this is not just a collapsed construction site. It is a holy site.”

State and local officials launched a website called Surfside Assistance to provide assistance to the residents, survivors and family members of Champlainta. Those whose needs are not met can apply for help through this website. Donors and organizations can also find information on how to help.

The authorities are continuing to investigate the cause of the collapse of Champlain Tanan.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) of the US Department of Commerce is working to collect concrete fragments and debris from the site and preserve them as evidence. The institute announced on June 30 that it was conducting a comprehensive technical investigation into the cause of the partial collapse.

Although the cause of the collapse has not yet been determined, it has repeatedly warned of structural problems.

A judge said on Wednesday that victims and families affected by the collapse of an apartment in Surfside, Florida, will receive at least $150 million in compensation. In this photo, Valerie Flatto (Valerie Flatto) visited the memorial on July 15th. The memorial has some photos of the victims. These photos are from the Champlain Tanan apartment complex.
Joe Riddle/Getty Images

New York Times It was reported in late June that three years before Champlain Tann’s collapse, a consultant inspected the building and found evidence of “significant structural damage” to the concrete slab under the pool deck, as well as “a large number” of underground pillars and walls. Evidence of cracking. Parking Garage.

Three months before the collapse, the president of the Apartment Association warned that the damage to the tower was “much more serious than the 2018 inspection emphasized.”

NIST said in a statement: “We intend to conduct a thorough technical investigation into the cause of the collapse and finally make recommendations to make our buildings safer and prevent similar incidents from happening again.” “This work will take time, but We will work hard as long as it is necessary.”



Source link

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img