This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (full disclosure)
this Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie A healthier twist on a classic version. Instead of regular mashed potatoes, I made this shepherd’s pie with sweet potatoes – but with equally delicious meat and vegetables roasted underneath.For a low carb version, try my Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie.
Why You’ll Love This Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- Tender and tasty meat and vegetables
- Sweet and Creamy Sweet Potato Topping – healthier than regular potatoes!
- Simple Ingredients and Easy Prep
- Ready to serve from the oven in less than an hour
- naturally gluten free
- freezer friendly
Ingredients and Substitutes
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for your sweet potato shepherd’s pie, what each ingredient does in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements, see recipe card below.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
You can make mashed sweet potatoes any way you want, but my favorite Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe include:
- sweet potato – Sweet potatoes have added flavor and nutrition compared to regular potatoes.Plus, this is a great way to use up leftover sweet potatoes grateful.
- unsalted butter – smell. If you need a dairy-free version, you can substitute avocado or olive oil.
- garlic – or garlic powder.
- milk – makes the mashed potatoes creamier, but you can omit it if you prefer a firmer texture.
- sea salt and black pepper
- olive oil – saute. Avocado oil also works.
- Aromatics – including onions and garlic. I used 3 minced garlic cloves, but you can substitute 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Ground beef – I use 85/15 ground beef, but any will do. Ground turkey or chicken can also be used.
- vegetable – I used the classic peas and carrots. Works great fresh or frozen.
- Sauce – Mine is super simple, just need beef soup (or you can use bone broth) and ketchup. If you like, you can also add a few teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce for extra flavor.
- condiment – Include Italian seasoning (I use Homemade Italian Seasoningbut you can also use store bought), sea saltand Black pepperYou can also add fresh herbs if you like – rosemary and thyme work well.
How to Make Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
This section shows how to make shepherd’s pie from sweet potatoes, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique to help you visualize it.For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see recipe card below.
- Make mashed sweet potatoes. Prepare Mash Sweet Potatoes as directed here. Boil potatoes until tender, drain and pat dry. Melt the butter, fry the garlic in it, then add the sweet potatoes and mash them, add some milk.
- Fry the spices. in a large frying panboiled onions olive oil until they are slightly browned.add garlic and italian seasoningFry for another minute.
- Cook the beef. Brown the ground beef with salt and pepper until almost cooked.
- Make the sauce. Add carrots, beef broth and tomato paste. Simmer until the beef is fully cooked and the mixture has thickened.
- Add peas. Add the peas and cook for a few minutes. Adjust seasoning if desired.
- gather. Spread the meat mixture on a casserole And cover with sweet potato mash.
- bake. Bake until hot, or until edges are golden brown if desired.
- cool. Let the Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie cool for 5 minutes before serving to allow the filling to set.
One of the things I love about this recipe is that it can be adapted to many different dietary preferences, so there is something for everyone.
- extra vegetables – Add celery, corn, green beans, mushrooms, zucchini, or whatever veggies you have left in the fridge for a heartier Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie. You may need to increase the amount of broth and tomato paste to get enough sauce.
- Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie – This version uses Mashed Cauliflower Substitute sweet potatoes and bell peppers instead of carrots.
- Vvegetarian – Same recipe, but replace the ground beef with black beans, lentils, tofu, or your favorite plant-based meat alternative.
- saving dishes – The sweet potato shepherd’s pie bakes right in the skillet, so you only have to wash one pan.I recommend one A large stainless steel skillet like this one, or use cast iron. After the filling is cooked, spread the mashed potatoes in a pan and bake.
- shop: Store leftover Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Meal Prep: Assemble the casserole up to 2 days in advance. You can let it come to room temperature 30 minutes before baking, or take it straight out of the fridge and bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes longer than the recipe calls for. (You can also make mashed sweet potatoes ahead of time.)
- Reheat: For best results, reheat in a 350°F oven. Or reheat portions in the microwave.
- freeze: I like to double this recipe and freeze it for later! When completely cooled, wrap in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight, then reheat in the oven.
What to Serve with Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
More Easy Sweet Potato Recipes
If you like sweet potatoes, here’s an even easier way to prepare them:
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie (Healthy and Easy!)
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie is a comforting dish of ground beef, peas and carrots in a tangy tomato broth and topped with mashed sweet potatoes.
Prepare: 10 minute
chef: 35 minute
all: 45 minute
Serving Size: 6 (adjust according to recipe)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Click a time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while you cook.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
heat the olive oil large frying pan Heat over medium heat.Add onion and sauté approx. 5 minutesuntil translucent and slightly brown.
Add garlic and Italian seasoning.Fried for 1 minute.
Add ground beef. Season with salt and pepper.to cook, separate with a spatula, because 7-8 minutesuntil the beef is almost cooked.
Add carrots, beef broth and tomato paste.slow cooker 2-4 minutesuntil the beef is cooked through and absorbs excess liquid.
Stir in the peas.Cook 2 minutes. Adjust salt and pepper to taste as needed.
Transfer the meat mixture to 9×13-inch baking dish. Spoon the mashed sweet potatoes on top. You can use a fork to create a pattern on the surface if desired.
Baked Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie 15 minutesOr longer if you want golden edges.
Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes Let the filling settle.
Serving Size: 1/6 whole casserole
Amount per serving. Serving sizes in recipe instructions above.
fat 26.6 grams
protein 23.2 grams
total carbohydrates 9.8 grams
net carbs 7.5 grams
fiber 2.3 grams
sugar 5.2 grams
Nutrition facts are provided politely. Questions about calculations or why are you getting different results?Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste the recipe to social media or websites. We would love for you to share a link with a photo. 🙂