If you’re a cat lover, you know how important it is to choose a name that suits your feline friend. Cat names can reflect their personality, appearance, and even your own interests and preferences. But how do you decide on a name that’s both unique and stylish?
To help you out, we’ve compiled a list of the most popular cat names of 2023 based on a variety of sources including the Cat Fanciers Association, Nationwide Pet Insurance, FindCatNames.com and Bing search results. We also analyze the reasons behind the popularity of these names and what they say about current cat naming trends.
Top 10 Male Cat Names of 2023
According to our research, here are the top 10 male cat names of 2023:
- oliver: This name has dominated the charts for cats and humans alike for years. It is derived from the Latin word “olivarius” meaning “olive tree”. It may also be inspired by the famous literary character Oliver Twist or the Disney movie Oliver Twist.
- Leo: This name means “lion” in Latin and is also a zodiac sign and constellation. This is a fitting name for a brave and majestic cat, or a cat with a lion-like mane. It could also be influenced by the popularity of Leonardo DiCaprio or the animated film The Lion King.
- Milo: This name is of Greek origin and means “mercy” or “gentleness”. It is also a cereal and a chocolate malt drink brand. This is a cute and catchy name for a friendly and playful cat. It may also be related to the character Milo Thatch from the movies Milo and Otis or Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
- Charlie: This name is a shortened form of Charles, which means “free man” in Germanic. It is also a common nickname for chocolate or cocaine. This is a popular name for cats and dogs as well as humans. It may also be influenced by the comic strip Peanuts or the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- maximum: The name is a shortened form of Maximilian, which means “the greatest” in Latin. It is also a common term for expressing a maximum quantity or limit of something. It’s a simple yet powerful name that represents a confident and powerful cat. It could also be related to the movie Mad Max or the books in the Extreme Ride series.
- jasper: The name comes from a type of quartz that comes in a variety of colors and patterns. It is also a gemstone believed to have healing properties. This is an elegant and exotic name for a cat with colored or spotted fur. It may also be influenced by the Twilight character Jasper Hale or the painter Jasper Johns.
- Finn: This name has various origins and meanings, such as “fair” in Irish, “wanderer” in Norwegian or “person from Finland” in Finnish. It is also a type of fish, or slang for a five dollar bill. This is a cool and stylish name for an adventurous cat. It could also be inspired by the character Finn Hudson from Glee or the hero Finn from Star Wars.
- Oscar: This name is of Old English origin and means “divine spear” or “deer lover”. It is also a famous award-winning fish from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and is also known for its aggressiveness. This is a classic and prestigious name for a cat with a strong personality. It may also have been influenced by the character Oscar Wilde or the Muppet Oscar the Grouch.
- Theo: The name is a shortened form of Theodore, which means “gift of God” in Greek. It is also a common prefix for words related to God or religion, such as theology or theocracy. This is a modern and stylish name for a cat with a divine presence. It may also be related to the painter Theo van Gogh or the actor Theo James.
- Loki: The name comes from Norse mythology, where Loki is a trickster god who often causes trouble for other gods. He is also the adopted brother and enemy of Thor, the god of thunder. This is an edgy and playful name for a cat who loves to cause chaos and have fun. This may also be influenced by the Marvel movies, in which Loki is played by Tom Hiddleston.
Top 10 Female Cat Names of 2023
Based on our research, here are the top 10 female cat names for 2023:
- Luna: This name means “moon” in Latin and is also the name of the Roman goddess of the moon. This is a beautiful and mysterious name for a cat with glowing or silver fur. It may also be influenced by the Harry Potter character Luna Lovegood or the cat Luna from Sailor Moon.
- bella: The name means “beautiful” in Italian and is also a shortened form of Isabella, which means “God is my vow” in Hebrew. This is a sweet and feminine name for a cat with an adorable appearance or personality. It may also be inspired by the Twilight character Bella Swan or the song Bella Ciao.
- lily: This name comes from the name of a flower that symbolizes purity, innocence and beauty. It is also the abbreviation of Lillian, which means “lily” in Latin. This is a sophisticated and elegant name for a cat with white or piebald fur. It may also be related to the Harry Potter character Lily Potter or actress Lily Collins.
- Lucy: The name is derived from the Latin word “lux” meaning “light”. It is also the abbreviation of Lucille, which means “light” in French. This is a bright, cheerful name for a cat with a sunny disposition or a light-colored coat. It may also be influenced by the Chronicles of Narnia character Lucy Pevensie or comedian Lucille Ball.
- Chloe: This name is of Greek origin and means “green shoot” or “bloom”. It is also the name of a perfume or fashion brand. This is a chic, fashionable name for a cat with a fresh and lively personality. It could also be related to Smallville character Chloë Sullivan or actress Chloë Grace Moretz.
- Stella: The name means “star” in Latin and is also the name of a brand of beer or cheese. This is a charming and sophisticated name for a cat with sparkling or star-like fur. It could also be influenced by The Fall character Stella Gibson or designer Stella McCartney.
- daisy: This name comes from the name of a flower that symbolizes innocence, purity and loyalty. It is also the shortened form of Margaret, which means “pearl” in Greek. This is a cute and charming name for a cat with white or yellow fur. It may also be related to the character Daisy Buchanan or actress Daisy Ridley from The Great Gatsby.
- olives: The name comes from the name of a tree that produces olives, which are used for food and oil. It is also a green or brown color. This is an earthy and natural name for a cat with green or brown fur. It may also be inspired by the Easy A character Olive Penderghast or the singer Olive Oyl.
- mia: This name has various origins and meanings, such as “mine” in Italian, “beloved” in Hebrew, or “beautiful” in the Scandinavian languages. It’s also an abbreviation for “missing in action,” or slang for “amphetamine.” It’s a short and sweet name for a cat that is loved and cherished. It may also have been influenced by The Princess Diaries character Mia Thermopolis or actress Mia Farrow.
- Cleo: The name is derived from the Greek word “kleos,” meaning “glory” or “fame.” It is also the abbreviation of Cleopatra, the last pharaoh of ancient Egypt and one of the most famous women in history. This is an exotic and regal name for a cat with an impressive or royal appearance. It may also be related to the character Cleo de Nile from Monster High or the rapper Cleo Sol.
What’s trending and why
As you can see from our list of the most popular cat names of 2023, there are some common themes and factors that influence how people choose names for their cats.
- Human Names: Many people choose to give their cats names that are commonly used for humans, such as Oliver, Bella, Charlie, or Lucy. This reflects the fact that cats are increasingly viewed as family members rather than just pets. A name can also express the owner’s personality, taste or culture.
- Pop Culture: Many people choose to give their cats names inspired by characters, celebrities, or events from pop culture, such as Simba, Luna, Rocky, or Stella. This shows how people are affected by the social media content they watch, read, listen to or follow. Pop culture names can also reveal the owner’s interests, hobbies, or fan base.
- Nature: Many people choose to give their cats names related to nature, such as Willow, Ivy, Daisy, or Jasper.This reflects how people are attracted to