This soft homemade buttercream Tomato Basil Soup Just right every time. It’s thick, creamy, and packed with 3 varieties of tomatoes, making it an extra comforting weeknight dinner.
Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
Topped with freshly cracked peppers, this simple tomato basil soup is made extra rich and creamy thanks to lots of tangy cream cheese. But that’s not where the flavor base comes from. Sauté plenty of sweet onions and pesto, then add homemade roasted, crushed and sun-dried tomatoes. Mix right in the pan for easy cleanup, and don’t forget to sprinkle in red pepper flakes for extra heat. Once everything is cooked on the stove, dip your favorite grilled cheese or toast into it for a cozy weeknight dinner.
Why You’ll Love This Cream of Tomato Soup Recipe
After trying this recipe, you’ll never go back to canned soup again.
- Better than store bought. You can make it creamier, spicier, add more garlic, and overall make it more your own.
- healthy. Each spoonful contains plenty of fresh tomatoes, onions, fresh basil and chicken broth.
- fresh. You know exactly what’s in it and when it was made.
- Suitable for freezing. Throw this in the pan when you need a last-minute dinner on a crazy weeknight.
what do you need
Sun-dried tomatoes are my secret ingredient. They make a world of difference. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact quantities.
- Roma tomatoes—— Remove all seeds so they can roast properly.
- Olive oil – You can use vegetable, corn, or canola oil.
- Avocado oil – Feel free to use olive oil.
- onion – Either white or yellow onions will work.
- chili – Chili peppers are a great swap.
- Garlic cloves—— Feel free to use garlic powder.
- crushed tomatoes – Any canned crushed tomatoes are great.
- Sun-dried tomatoes – These are often sold in jars and add tons of umami flavor.
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth – Vegetable soup also works.
- fresh basil – Do not use dry as it is too strong.
- cream cheese – Use full-fat or low-fat cream cheese.
What tomatoes are best for homemade tomato soup?
Plum varieties like Roma tomatoes and San Marzano tomatoes are best for tomato soup because they are sweeter. They’re also meatier. Cherry tomatoes also work, but they take a long time to remove the seeds and are not very practical.
How to Make Tomato Basil Soup
Roast the tomatoes, simmer and mix. That’s it! Check the recipe card for more detailed instructions.
- Grilled tomatoes. Preheat oven to 350F. Place tomatoes on tray. Sprinkle some olive oil and a pinch of salt on top. Mix them until well combined. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cook the onions. Place avocado oil, onion, and red pepper flakes in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook onions for 5-7 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes. Add the crushed tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and chicken stock to the pot and stir. Bring to a boil and add roasted tomatoes. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Make it creamy. Add basil and cream cheese to pan. Stir until cream cheese is melted and completely combined.
- Mix it. Process the soup in a blender in batches until completely smooth. You can also use an immersion blender. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Tips for success
If you roast your tomatoes, your homemade tomato soup will always be the bomb.
- Wait a day This soup tastes much better after a day of simmering. If you can’t eat it all at once, reheat it the next day for an explosion of flavor.
- Don’t skip baking. Not roasting the tomatoes will add a very raw flavor to your soup, so don’t forget to roast them even if they take a little more time.
- Switch to dairy products. In this recipe, use 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1/2 cup heavy cream instead of cream cheese.
- Add ingredients. Toasted almonds, croutons, and Parmesan cheese slices are all great ingredients.
- Make it spicy. Add more red pepper flakes or 1/2 teaspoon chili oil at a time until spicy.
- Avoid stainless steel. A non-stick pot or even a Dutch oven are good pot options that can help reduce the risk of your soup sticking and burning.
What to Serve with Homemade Tomato Soup
This Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is the best thing in the world when you dip your grilled cheese sandwich into it.If you want something heartier, dip into mine Grilled Chicken Fajita Panini on the contrary.dunk on mine Air Fryer Chicken Tenders Also a family favorite.You can even turn this soup into an easy side dish Grilled Ribeye Steak Have dinner with one Arugula Salad.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Once completely cooled, refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. To reheat, place in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir, then heat for another 30 seconds. To reheat larger portions, place in a pot and cook over medium-high heat for 7-8 minutes.
Can I freeze tomato basil soup?
Absolutely! However, do not freeze for longer than 3 months to avoid separation. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat and serve as usual. If you are in a hurry, you can also take it directly from the refrigerator and throw it into the pot. If the soup separates a bit, stir it until smooth again.
More Homemade Soup Recipes
This thick and creamy tomato basil soup with a hint of garlic is the perfect weeknight dinner, perfect for dipping into grilled cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place prepared tomatoes into baking dish. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt. Mix well.
- Roast tomatoes for 40 minutes.
- In a 6-quart stockpot over medium heat, add avocado oil, onion, and crushed red pepper.
- Saute onions until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds, then add the crushed tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then add the oven-roasted tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, add the basil and cream cheese to the pan and stir until the cream cheese is completely melted.
- Stir soup until smooth. (I used an immersion blender, but you can also remove the soup portion and place it in a blender.)
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 137
- sugar: 6 grams
- sodium: 183 mg
- fat: 6 grams
- Saturated fat: 3 grams
- carbohydrate: 15 grams
- fiber: 4 grams
- protein: 4 grams
- cholesterol: 7 mg
Keywords: tomato basil soup, homemade tomato soup, tomato basil soup recipe