This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (full disclosure)
My mom is the queen of overnight layered salad recipes. I grew up on them – maybe not every day, but whenever we have extended family or friends over, there are sure to be plenty of salads overnight.create this Seven Layer Salad Recipe Served with mayonnaise (7 Layer Salad in short! ) made me a proud addition to my mom’s collection.
I took some inspiration from her layered salad recipe, but kept it close enough to the traditional 7-layer salad Americans are used to. This classic is an easy hit and shows the moment company arrives!
The creaminess and saltiness of this dish comes from a quick dressing of mayonnaise and sour cream, reminiscent of a pasta salad or Cauliflower Broccoli Salad, but with more layers. It compliments the crispness of the vegetables so well!
Why You’ll Love This 7-Layer Salad Recipe
- tangy and salty
- Creamy Sauce with Crunchy Vegetables
- beautiful rainbow colors
- Complete in 15 minutes
- Overnight Salads = Perfect Meal Prep
- Great for potlucks and parties
7 Layer Salad Toppings
This section describes how to choose the best ingredients for a traditional 7-layer salad, what each ingredient does in the recipe, and alternative options.For measurements, see recipe card below.
- Green vegetables – I used shredded lettuce, but you can use other veggies like spinach, iceberg lettuce, or even shredded cabbage.
- grape tomato – You can substitute cherry tomatoes, large diced tomatoes, or even half fresh tomatoes sun dried tomatoes.
- bell pepper – I used orange and yellow bell peppers for a rainbow effect, but you can use any combination of green, yellow, orange, or red bell peppers. You can also use other vegetables such as black olives, celery, or thawed frozen peas.
- hard boiled eggs – Prepare the eggs ahead of time.you can use mine easy-peel hard-boiled eggs method even poaching eggs in the oven.
- Shallot – If you want a milder sweetness, you can substitute white onions, or scallions for extra texture.
- cheese – I used shredded cheddar, but you can use any cheese you like. Try shredded feta, grated Parmesan, mozzarella, or even grated blue cheese!
- bacon collapse – I highly recommend Roasting Bacon in the Oven, which allows you to make large batches quickly.you can also make Bacon in the Air Fryer or microwave. If you want a healthier bacon alternative, try Air Fryer Turkey Bacon. Shred or crumble after cooling.For a time-saving shortcut, use the store-bought bacon slices.
Variation: Add meat.
Add meats like sliced ham, turkey, or chicken to turn this 7-layer salad into a complete meal.
- mayonnaise – Adds creaminess, rich flavor and creamy texture.I do it myself Avocado Oil Mayonnaise When I have time, but you can get a store bought version (this is my favourite) or even use Greek yogurt.
- sour cream – Enhances the tangy flavor of 7-Layer Salad Dressing. You can also use Greek yogurt here.
Variations: use a different dressing!
The traditional seven-layer salad recipe uses only a combination of mayonnaise and sour cream, but you can also use salad dressing if you prefer.try pasture, blue cheeseeven green goddess outfit. You may need to reduce the liquid to keep them thick enough – you don’t want the dressing dripping onto the lettuce and softer vegetables.
How to Make a 7 Layer Salad
This section shows how to make a seven-layer salad, with step-by-step photos and technical details to help you visualize it.For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see recipe card below.
- Layer vegetables and eggs. in a big small bowl like this (I prefer a display!) Or just a glass bowl and layer lettuce, halved tomatoes, chopped bell pepper, diced eggs, and sliced red onion in that order.
Tip: The order of ingredients is important.
similar to mine mason jar salad, you want the dressing to stay away from the lettuce, which won’t hold up and the toppings next to it won’t get soggy. Follow the order above to keep the salad from getting soggy.
- Make the dressing. brush Together mayonnaise and sour cream. Spread over salad.
Tip: Apply the dressing.
It can be a bit difficult to spread mayonnaise on the onions without sticking. Just apply a little at a time and spread a little, add a little more, and repeat.
- Add cheese and bacon. Sprinkle shredded cheese and cooked bacon on top.
- refrigeration. Cover and refrigerate the 7-layer salad overnight.
Seven-layer salad made ahead can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Cover with plastic wrap before storing. As with almost all salad recipes, do not freeze this.
What to Serve with Seven Layer Salad
Serve this salad with your main meal, or in addition to other light meal-style recipes. Here are some ideas:
- Potluck – If you are bringing this 7 layer salad to a potluck or family gathering, it pairs well with other potluck entrees such as juicy burgerbid Slow Cooker Pulled Porkor meaty, Simple Chili.
- Grilled Entrees – This summer salad is the perfect accompaniment to grilled food.try a juicy roast chicken skewers or quick roast Skewered Shrimp. For a tastier meal, try roast steakCajun Experienced baked codor perfect grilled salmon.
- chicken – Always with a salad! try zesty Baked Lemon Pepper Wingsbid Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breastsor crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs.
- steak – make a juicy roast steakor if the weather is not suitable for grilling, Air Fryer Steaks instead.
More Overnight Salad Recipes
Here are more of my favorite delicious salads that you can make ahead and store overnight. Great for picnics and potlucks!
7 Layer Salad
Make this 7-layer salad recipe in under 15 minutes with simple ingredients like lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, bacon, cheese, and a creamy dressing.
Prepare: 15 minute
all: 15 minute
Serving Size: 12 (adjust according to recipe)
Click on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE COOKING CHANNEL Healthy Recipes of the Week! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Click a time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while you cook.
brush Together mayonnaise and sour cream. Spread over salad. (It might be a little difficult if it doesn’t stick to the onion. Just spread a little at a time, sprinkle a little more, add a little more, and repeat.)
Sprinkle shredded cheese and cooked bacon slices on top.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Last Step: Leave a Rating!
Share your recipe image by tagging @wholesomeyum and tag it with #wholesomeyum exist instagram – I would love to see it!
Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount per serving. Serving sizes in recipe instructions above.
fat 20 grams
protein 10 grams
total carbohydrates 4 grams
net carbs 3 grams
fiber 1 g
sugar 2 grams
Nutrition facts are provided politely. Questions about calculations or why are you getting different results?Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste the recipe to social media or websites. We would love for you to share a link with a photo. 🙂