Hello, and welcome back to our live Covid blog. I’m Samantha Lock and I will bring you all the latest coronavirus developments as they happen.
Countries Europe As the authorities scrambled to contain the surge, the number of reported infections hit a record high.
This UK, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Ireland and Greece Everyone reported new case records this week, and we Also set a new high.
Despite the surge in cases, countries around the world are relaxing quarantine and testing rules.
Spain After companies expressed concern that the surge in Omicron would lead to increased employee shortages, they reduced their Covid self-quarantine period from 10 days to 7 days.
Italy The quarantine period for people who received three doses of the Covid vaccine and subsequently came into contact with people who tested positive was cancelled.
exist UKPeople who receive negative lateral mobility results on the 6th and 7th day of the self-isolation period (24 hours between testing) no longer need to stay indoors for a full 10 days.
In light of these decisions, World Health Organization It warned that shortening the mandatory quarantine period for Covid-19 patients is a trade-off between controlling transmission and keeping the economy running.
Dr. Michael RyanThe Executive Director of the WHO Health Emergencies Program said that reducing the control of the new coronavirus is “undesirable” and warned that governments need to be “cautious” to reduce restrictions.
Dr. Ryan said at a WHO press conference on Wednesday:
Even with the previous mutation, most people will be latent and show symptoms or be positive within the first six days or so, and then have a lower chance of being positive or spreading the disease-but then the government will make a judgment call for when to allow people to pass The additional test leaves the isolation state.
The most important thing at the moment is that we need to cautiously change tactics and strategies immediately based on what we saw in the early Omicron data. “
- This UK Report Another record rise There were more than 183,000 Covid cases every day on Wednesday.
- More than 90% of community Covid cases in England are now Omicron variants, According to the latest data from the UK Health and Safety Agency.
- Paris, France, The police said on Wednesday that in order to slow the spread of the Omicron variant, they will wear masks outdoors again this week.
- Anti-vaccine Rushed into the Covid testing center During the “freedom” assembly Milton Keynes, Seems to believe that this is a coronavirus vaccine center.
- Argentina On Wednesday, 42,032 new cases were reported every day.
- France Registered national and European records The number of new infections reported in the past 24 hours is 208,000, which is higher than the record of nearly 180,000 set in the previous day.
- This German Sanitation Committee, Karlauterbach, Said on Wednesday that the number of new Covid cases is underestimated, and the actual infection rate is about two to three times higher than the official reported figure.
- More than 44,000 people in we According to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, death from Covid-19 may occur within the next 4 weeks.
- Portugal A new record of 26,867 Covid cases was reported in the past 24 hours on Wednesday, up from 17,172 the day before, although the daily death toll fell to a small fraction of the peak in early 2021.
- Cuba According to official media reports, a booster injection will be provided to the entire population in January.