The Canadian government announced on Friday that it had won 500 seats. US flight Afghanistan Refugees trying to leave Taliban-Country of operation.
Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino told reporters in the latest official news that although the military evacuation has ended, Canada continues to work with allies to evacuate citizens and refugees.
“Yesterday, we got about 500 seats in the US airlift and now they have safely left Kabul,” he said. “We will continue to work with the United States and other countries to build air bridges wherever possible, even after the coalition forces are expected to withdraw on August 31.”

As part of Canada’s accelerated evacuation efforts, Mendicino said the government will also adopt “temporary public policy” measures to exempt Afghans from the cost of immigration documents.
“For Afghans who are outside of Canada but cannot obtain a valid permanent residence confirmation with a passport or travel document, Afghans who have sought to extend or restore their temporary residency rights in Canada, and Canadian citizens, we will waive the cost, Afghanistan or travel to Canada. Permanent residents and families of third countries,” he added.
On Thursday, Canada’s evacuation efforts in Afghanistan ended, although officials said some Canadians and Afghans were left behind.

The Canadian departure took place a few hours before the attack outside Kabul International Airport. Thousands of Afghans flocked to try to flee the country.
The Associated Press quoted two official sources as reporting that 169 people have been killed, and this number is expected to rise. The terrorist organization ISIS-K claimed responsibility for the explosion, and US officials warned that more attacks are expected.
Canadian, US and Afghan officials said no Canadians were injured, but 13 US troops and more Afghans were killed.

Foreign Minister Mark Gano said that Canada rescued 3,700 people during the military operation, but he is not sure how many Canadians or Afghans remain in the area.
For those who are trapped, “don’t lose hope,” Gano said.
“Given the local security situation, this is heartbreaking,” he said. “Let me be clear: we will not stop looking for other ways to bring these people home.”
Garno told reporters that the US flight carried “our 500 people” and said that Canada had been picking up Afghans destined for other countries during its operation.
Now, with no physical presence in the country, Gano said Canada is working with allies to deal with Afghans seeking help from the country.
“Coordinate our efforts with our friends and partners to enable some people to leave on Allied flights,” he said.
“At this time, our consular services continue to maintain contact and provide support to Canadian citizens and permanent residents who are staying in Afghanistan. We will continue to discuss with our partners and explore ways to get them back to Canada.”
Gano added that Canada has notified its embassy staff in neighboring countries to assist Afghans who leave the country through land crossings.
“We will be prepared in all countries where they may come, and receive them in our consulates and embassies,” he said. “So this will happen in the coming weeks and months, but at the moment we ask people to stay where they are, because there are a lot of things happening at the moment and we will keep in touch with them.”
Mendicino emphasized that if the Afghan finally arrives in a third country, the visa approved by Canada for the Afghan will still be valid.
“If you have a visa on hand but we cannot go out yet, it is still valid and we will do our best to ensure that it is respected, whether you are leaving by air or by land, leaving Afghanistan or in a third country,” he said.

In addition, Gano added that neighboring countries are in dialogue with the Taliban to reopen Kabul Airport after the departure of Western troops to maintain the flow of humanitarian aid and allow people to travel freely.
However, he emphasized that no one knows whether this will happen, but said it is in the Taliban’s best interest to do so.
Since the Taliban took control of the capital and the country on August 15, the airport has been in chaos, with thousands of Afghans trying to flee for fear of returning to the brutal rule of the militants.
The Taliban once again control Afghanistan. How did we get here and what will happen next?
When they last ruled from 1996 to 2001, the Islamic organization cut off the hands of thieves, threw stones at adulterers, and prohibited women from going to school or going out to work.
But they have now pledged to become a more moderate ruler and have vowed to “amnesty” Afghans who cooperated with Western troops during the US-led war on terrorism and claimed to want women to enter the government.
Many Afghans are skeptical of their promises because the Taliban have been shown to suppress dissidents.
Mendicino said on Friday that just before the Taliban occupied Kabul, the United States, Canada and their allies began one of the largest aerial evacuations in history, evacuating approximately 100,000 people so far.
-Documents from the Associated Press.
© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





