This post may contain affiliate links to help keep this content free. (full disclosure)
savory, cheesy, oh so tender…this cheesy French Onion Chicken Recipe A fusion of all the rich flavors French Onion Soup And turn it into a comfort food chicken meal that everyone loves!Learn how to make French Onion Grilled Chicken (with The Best Caramelized Onions and no need for canned or boxed mixes), just 30 minutes.
What is French Onion Chicken?
Grilled French Onion Chicken recreates all the rich caramel flavors of French onion soup in a complete entree. Caramelized onions form a golden-brown sauce that coats tender chicken and is covered in gooey cheese.
Why You’ll Love This French Onion Chicken Recipe
- Intense French onion flavor
- Juicy, Tender Chicken Breast with Melted Cheese
- 5 minutes prep, 30 minutes total
- Naturally gluten-free and low-carb (no all-purpose flour, condensed soup, or French fried onions!)
- An easy chicken dish for a weeknight or party!
Ingredients and Substitutes
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for French Onion Chicken Soup, what each ingredient does in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements, see Recipe card below.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast – You can also make oven-roasted French Onion Chicken Thighs if you want, but the cooking time will vary.
- olive oil – For searing. I used extra virgin olive oil here, but use any neutral cooking oil you like.
- butter – For caramelizing onions and making mouthwatering onion gravy. Choose unsalted varieties.
- onion -While I chose white onions for this Easy French Onion Chicken Skillet, yellow or sweet onions will work too. You can use 3 small onions, 2 medium onions, or 1 1/2 large onions.
- fresh thyme – Adds aroma and flavor to sauces. poultry seasoning Would also make a good substitute.
- Liquor – Use your favorite white variety, or substitute with added chicken stock if you prefer.
- chicken soup – I used a low sodium broth because the cheese was a little salty, but use your favorite brand (or do Homemade Chicken Bone Broth). The beef soup here is also delicious!
- cheese – A mixture of Swiss and Parmesan cheese. You can substitute a slice of provolone for each chicken breast, or use another variety, such as Gruyere or mozzarella.
- sea salt and black pepper – For easy seasoning.
Variation: add garlic!
You can add 2-3 minced garlic cloves at the end of the caramelized onion cooking time.
How to Make French Onion Chicken
This section shows how to make a French Onion Chicken Roast, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique to help you visualize it.For complete instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- season. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- searing. Heat oil in a pan Oven Safe Skillet Medium to high temperature. Fry the chicken on both sides until golden brown. Remove and cover to keep warm.
- Caramelized. Reduce heat and add onion slices and butter. Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally. Add the thyme and continue to cook until caramelized. If the onions start to brown too quickly, reduce the heat to low.
- simmer. Add wine and stock, stir, and bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken. Return chicken to pan, flip to coat with caramelized onion mixture, then turn off heat.
- Add cheese. Put the cheese on the chicken. (It’s best to put Swiss slices first, then top with parmesan cheese.
- bake. Cook the French Onion Chicken in the oven until the cheese is melted and browned.
Changes in cooking methods
- Crock Pot French Onion Chicken – Omit butter and oil. Add the onions to the bottom of the slow cooker, then add the wine, broth, and thyme. Season chicken breasts and place on top of onions. Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours. Add cheese on top of chicken and cover until cheese is melted.
- Instant Pot French Onion Chicken – Hot pan in stir-fry mode. Add oil and roast chicken using inner pot, working in batches if needed, set aside. Caramelize the onions, adding a dash of wine as needed to deglaze the pan. Toss the chicken with the onions, placing as many of them on top of the meat as possible. Add broth and cover. Set to high pressure and cook for 15 minutes. Do a quick release. If desired, put the pan on saute mode to reduce moisture and thicken the sauce. Top with cheese and cover to melt.
- Shop: Cover the French Onion Skillet Chicken tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Meal preparation: Slice the onions and store in the refrigerator until ready to cook. You can also cook the whole dish ahead of time, or just caramelize the onions ahead of time.
- Reheat: Heat chicken in a 325 degree oven or microwave on low power until heated through.
- freeze: Cover tightly and freeze in an airtight container for 1-2 months. Thaw overnight before reheating.
What to Serve with French Onion Grilled Chicken
It’s easy to turn this chicken into a complete dinner! Try serving with these aspects:
Healthier Roast Chicken Recipes
With the help of the oven, these easy, elegant chicken dishes come together in no time.
French Onion Chicken (Easy 30 Minute Meal!)
French Onion Grilled Chicken is loaded with caramelized onions and melted cheese. Make this French Onion Chicken recipe in just 30 minutes!
Prepare: 5 minute
chef: 25 minute
All: 30 minute
Serving Size: 4 (Adjust the scale recipe)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Tap the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
Pat the chicken breast dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
heat the oil Large oven safe frying pan Medium to high temperature.add chicken and grill 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
Reduce heat to medium. Add butter and onion. Stir to melt the butter.Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until 5 minutes Stir occasionally.
Remove the lid and stir in the thyme.keep cooking 10-15 minutesuncovered, until the onions are caramelized.
Pour in the wine and broth, scrape the bottom of the pan to remove the glaze. Stir and increase heat to bring to a boil.
Return the chicken to the pot and turn around to coat in the juices. Remove the pot from the heat.
Put the cheese on the chicken.Transfer to the oven and bake the French Onion Chicken approx. 10 minutesuntil the cheese is golden brown.
Serving Size: 1 chicken breast with onion and sauce
Amount per serving. Serving Sizes in Recipe Instructions Above.
fat 16.8 grams
protein 8.2 grams
total carbohydrates 7.3 grams
net carbs 6.3 grams
fiber 1 g
sugar 2.7 grams
Nutrition Facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about the calculation or why you get different results?see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes to social media or websites. We want you to share the link with the photo. 🙂