This post may contain affiliate links to help keep this content free. (full disclosure)
make your own Sugar Free Caramel Syrup (aka Sugar Free Caramel Sauce) is easier than you think!This rich and decadent caramel flavor is perfect to pair with your favorites Keto Desserts or drizzle unsweetened whipped cream hot drinks (such as bulletproof coffee).Also, like Sugar Free Chocolate Syrupthis Keto Caramel Sauce Tastes like the real deal, with just a few basic ingredients.
The consistency and buttery consistency of sugar-free caramel sauce depends on one particular ingredient: Besti Brown Monk Fruit Allulose BlendUnlike other sugar-free sweeteners, this one dissolves and caramelizes like real sugar…so the caramel has a smooth, creamy consistency with no added calories, sugar crumble or gritty texture.
This recipe was so popular that I included it in mine Easy Keto Carboholics Recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Homemade Keto Caramel Sauce Recipe
- Perfectly sweet and buttery
- Smooth, sticky, thick texture like traditional caramel
- 4 Simple Natural Ingredients (No Corn Syrup, Artificial Flavors or Preservatives!)
- 10 minutes to complete
- 0g net carbs and naturally gluten free
- Great for dips, drinks and desserts
Ingredients and Substitutes
This section describes how to choose the best ingredients for sugar-free caramel sauce, the role of each ingredient in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements, see Recipe card below.
- butter – For best flavor, use salted butter. However, if you are mindful of your salt intake, you can use unsalted butter instead.
- Besti Brown Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – I chose to use the brown version of Besti because I like the taste of brown sugar.If you want, you can use crystalline or powder Besti instead – both dissolve like sugar and caramelize beautifully.If you want to use a different keto sugar substitutekeep in mind that most other brands (including erythritol, and most brands of monk fruit or stevia, which usually contain erythritol) do not dissolve well and crystallize when cooled, resulting in a rough texture that you won’t get the same sticky texture. If you still want to try mine Sweetener Conversion Chart Exact replacement amount.
- heavy cream – Essential ingredient for caramel. Do not substitute any type of milk (including cow’s milk, almond milk, and coconut milk) as they will not thicken properly. It might be substituted for the coconut cream if you need it.
- vanilla extract – Use higher quality herbs for the best flavor.
How to Make Sugar Free Caramel Syrup
This section shows how to make the best sugar-free caramel recipe, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique to help you visualize it.For complete instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- melt. Heat the butter with Besti Brown large pan Use a small fire. Cook until golden brown.
Tip: Watch the sauce carefully.
Stir occasionally and watch carefully to avoid burning on the bottom of the pan.
- Bold. Stir in the cream and simmer until darkened and the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- smell. Turn off the heat and use brush in vanilla extract.
- Finish. Pour homemade ketchup caramel sauce into jars.
Tips for the Best Sugar-Free Caramel Sauce
Making sugar-free caramel sauce may seem like a daunting task, but with a little patience and the right ingredients, it’s actually easy! Here are some tips and tricks:
- Use a large pan. The larger the surface area of the pan, the faster the sauce will caramelize and thicken. I used a large skillet, but you can even use a high-sided skillet to speed up the process.
- Use the right sweetener. I usually recommend Besti in all my recipes, but it’s more important to some people than others. This sugar-free caramel syrup recipe is one that makes a huge difference. You won’t get the same smooth, sticky texture with another sweetener.
- Be careful not to overheat. If the heat is too high, your sauce will “split,” which means you’ll separate the oil from the other ingredients. If this happens, you can sometimes put it back together in a blender.
- Add vanilla at the end. Add vanilla extract last when away from heat to ensure it retains its potency. If you add it while cooking, some of it will evaporate, reducing its flavor.
- Shop: Keep the low-carb caramel sauce in the refrigerator. I’ve made two batches before and this has lasted a few weeks without a problem.
- Reheat: The caramel will set in the refrigerator, so you will need to reheat it before serving. The best way is to heat it on the stove over low heat, stirring frequently. When reheating the sugar-free caramel sauce, it is important to gradually increase the temperature. Otherwise, you risk “shocking” it, causing the oil to separate.
- freeze: Add the sauce to a freezer-safe container and place it in the freezer. When you’re ready to use it, let it thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature. After thawing, reheat gently to get the correct consistency.
What to Serve with Sugar Free Caramel Syrup
This low-carb caramel sauce is a delicious and versatile topping that can be used in a variety of desserts or added as a sweetener. Here are some ideas!
- dipping – Sugar-free caramel syrup is great for dipping keto fruit (or any fruit), ketchupeven like cookies Almond Flour Shortbread and Keto Oatmeal Cookies.
- Ingredients – Pour this sauce over classic desserts like Keto Cheesecake, Keto Apple Pieor Keto Lava Cake.
- breakfast – Convert Keto Cinnamon Rolls, Coconut Yogurtor low carb french toast become a special treat.Don’t miss how I used it to make tomato baobab Easy Keto Carboholics Recipe!
- ice cream – caramel always goes well with the classic Keto Ice CreamBut you can also try Coconut Milk Ice Cream, Almond Milk Ice Creamor Mason Jar Ice Cream.
- drinks– Add your favorite hot or cold beverage (such as Sugar Free Hot Chocolate, Keto Iced Coffeeor low carb smoothie) and unsweetened whipped cream, then drizzle caramel on top. You can also stir it into a hot drink.
More sugar-free toppings
Elevate your healthy dessert with these sugar-free toppings:
This reader-favorite recipe is contained in Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Carboholics Recipe! In this beautiful crusty keto recipe book, you’ll find 100 delicious, easy keto recipes to replace all your favorite carbs: bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, desserts, and more…every One with 10 ingredients or less! Plus, photos, macros, and tips for each recipe.
Sugar Free Caramel Syrup and Sauce (Keto!)
This easy sugar-free caramel syrup requires only 4 ingredients and 10 minutes. Sugar Free Keto Caramel Sauce is sticky and sweet like the real deal!
chef: 10 minute
All: 10 minute
Serving Size: 12 (Adjust the scale recipe)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Tap the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
Melt butter with Besti Brown large pan Use a small fire.After melting, cook about 3 to 4 minutes left, stirring occasionally, until golden brown in color. (Watch carefully to avoid burning.)
Stir in cream.Bring to a boil, then turn to low heat and simmer 7 to 10 minutescontinuing to stir occasionally, until the mixture is a deep caramel color and coats the back of the spoon.
Remove sugar-free caramel syrup from heat. Add vanilla extract and stir.
The sauce will thicken as it cools from hot to hot.
Amount per serving. Serving Sizes in Recipe Instructions Above.
protein 1 g
total carbohydrates 1 g
net carbs 0 g
fiber 1 g
sugar 1 g
Nutrition Facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about the calculation or why you get different results?see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes to social media or websites. We want you to share the link with the photo. 🙂