Head to the Whitsunday Islands for an unforgettable family holiday. Hamilton Island is located in the center of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef. It’s a tropical paradise with sandy beaches and crystal clear waters just off the Queensland coast. It is a popular destination for couples, honeymooners and families. Whether you want to relax on the beach, explore fun hikes or catch the best sunsets, Hamilton Island is the perfect destination with plenty to do for the kids. Here’s your ultimate guide to traveling to Hamilton Island with kids.
Travel to Hamilton Island
The best way to get to Hamilton Island is to fly into Hamilton Island Airport (HTI). Book direct flights from Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne. You can also take the ferry from Airlie Beach.
When is the best time to visit Hamilton Island?
Hamilton Island has a pleasant climate all year round, with an average temperature of 27°C. October to December is the most popular time of year to travel.
Where to stay on Hamilton Island
If you are traveling with children, a fully equipped apartment is the perfect choice for you! When you don’t want to eat out, you can pick up groceries and cook a few meals at your local IGA. Hamilton Island offers a variety of accommodation options, from budget apartments to luxury hotels. There are several options here.
- Hamilton Island Whitsunday Apartments: We love staying here! These apartments are perfect for families who want luxury and relaxation. The views at Cat’s Eye Beach are unparalleled and you’re just steps away from multiple pools and beaches.
- Coral View Hotel: This family-friendly hotel is located in the heart of Hamilton Island, close to all the action. The hotel offers a variety of room types to suit families of all sizes, as well as a kids’ club, swimming pool and playground.
Best things to do with kids on Hamilton Island
- Visit Whitehaven Beach – One of my favorite beaches in Australia! Whitehaven Beach is a must-do on any trip to Hamilton Island.
- Swimming at Maoyan Beach – This beach is perfect for families as the water here is calm. At low tide you can take a walk and explore the coral reef.
- Jungle trekking – Take the little ones along for the adventure. Hike Passage Peak Hike or stroll to Resort Lookout Hike.
- Go to One Tree Hill to watch the sunset – Arrive early! Everyone on the island plans to watch the sunset here, so it’s very lively. Bring a picnic and enjoy stunning island and Great Barrier Reef views.
- Swim in the island pool – The Bouganvilla swimming pool is located behind Cat’s Eye Beach and is great for little ones. The main pool has a swim-up bar, and the dolphin pool is open all day.
- Take an island tour in an off-road vehicle – When you rent a stroller, you can request a car seat for your infant or toddler. Explore the island with your family and feel the sea breeze in your hair.
- Visit Henning Point Duck Pond – Take your children for a walk around the pond. There is a covered pavilion with tables, chairs, BBQ and toilet facilities.
- Explore the Marina – Hamilton Island Marina is a great place to shop, dine and people watch. The marina has many different restaurants and shops as well as a children’s playground.
- Hamilton Island Wildlife: See the koalas, kangaroos and crocodiles in the park.
- Play mini golf: If you’re looking for a fun family activity, Hamilton Island Mini Golf is a maze filled with plants and palm trees with a variety of different challenges. It is located near the pier.
Hamilton Island is a great destination for families and kids. This is one of my favorite places in Australia. Here are some things you need to know before you go.
Book your event early.
Plan activities in advance and make dinner reservations as it can get very busy during peak season.
Rent an SUV.
There are no cars on Hamilton Island. Explore the island on an off-road vehicle and request a car seat. If you don’t have a stroller, it’s a 10-minute walk from Cat’s Eye Beach to the pier. There is also a free shuttle that takes you from the hotel to the pier.
Choose the right accommodation.
If you’re traveling with kids who may need a nap at lunchtime, consider a self-contained apartment. You can prepare meals at your hotel instead of eating out.
Check out childcare facilities.
Want to enjoy some adult-only time? The Clownfish Club is suitable for children 6 months to 12 years old.
You might also like: