- The explosion in August last year killed more than 200 people.
- The Human Rights Watch report contains more than 700 pages of findings and documents.
- Human Rights Watch also pointed out that there is evidence that several Lebanese authorities have criminal negligence under Lebanese law.
A report released by Human Rights Watch on Tuesday concluded that there is strong evidence that before the fatal explosion in Beirut port on August 4 last year, some Lebanese officials knew and tacitly accepted the ammonium nitrate stored in Beirut port. The fatal risk.
The explosion was caused by chemicals that had been unsafely stored in the port for years, killing more than 200 people, injuring thousands and destroying large areas of the Lebanese capital.
The report of the International Rights Watch contains more than 700 pages of findings and documents. Its investigation also concluded that there is evidence that multiple Lebanese authorities have criminal negligence in accordance with Lebanese law.
Human Rights Watch’s report is based on official documents it reviewed and many interviews with senior officials including the president, the caretaker prime minister, and the head of national security.
Read here | The Lebanese government is on the verge of an explosion due to the downfall of another minister
The investigation followed up the incidents that occurred after the cargo was shipped to the port of Beirut since 2014, and tracked multiple hazard warnings to various official agencies.
The report said: “There is evidence that some government officials foresee that the presence of ammonium nitrate in the port may lead to death, and tacitly acknowledge the risk of death.”
It called on the UN Human Rights Council to authorize investigations into the bombings and called on foreign governments to impose human rights and corruption sanctions on officials.
The Lebanese investigation of the bombing led by Judge Tarek Bitar has stalled. Politicians and senior security officials have not yet been questioned, and requests to cancel their immunity have been blocked.
Human Rights Watch reported that President Michel Aoun, the caretaker Prime Minister Hassan Diab, the Director of the National Security Agency Tony Saliba and other former ministers were wanted by Judge Bitar. Although they had been informed of the risks, they were not wanted. Can take action to protect the public.
Read also | Lebanon bombing: outgoing minister and security chief are summoned to testify in the investigation
Reuters sought comments from Aoun, Diab and Saliba on the report’s findings. The presidential palace did not comment. Diab and Saliba did not immediately respond.
Aoun said on Friday that he is ready to testify that no one can be above the law.
A document seen by Reuters was sent two weeks before the explosion, showing that the president and prime minister were warned that chemicals stored in the port pose a security risk and could destroy the capital.



