This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. (full disclosure)
Looking for a quick and easy one-pot meal?If you’re like me and love worry-free cooking steak and potatoes or Sheet Pan Chicken Dinner Recipes you will love this Instant Pot Chicken and Rice! My kids love the taste of these two together (and love the peas and carrots in this dish) – and I love how easy it is to make this dish for them.
Why You’ll Love This Ready-to-Eat Chicken and Rice
- Chicken is tender and juicy
- Rice cooked to perfection
- Simple, natural ingredients
- Quick and easy preparation
- Convenient One-Pot Weeknight Dinner
- family friendly dinner
Ingredients and Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for making chicken and rice in the Instant Pot, what each ingredient does in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements see Recipe card below.
- chicken – You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- seasoning – Homemade mix italian seasoning, sea salt and black pepper. You can also use just one or two dried herbs, such as dried oregano and basil, instead of Italian seasoning.
- olive oil – Used in stir-fries. You can use avocado oil, coconut oil, ghee or butter as a substitute.
- vegetable – Carrots, peas and onions are a classic, kid-friendly combination. Cut carrots and onions into small, even pieces. You can also add or swap bell peppers, corn, broccoli, or zucchini. (Keep in mind that softer vegetables will have a softer texture after cooking.)
- garlic – For best flavor I use fresh minced garlic but you can use 1 tsp canned garlic For convenience.
- rice – This Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe uses brown rice, which takes longer to cook than white rice. You can use long-grain white rice or jasmine rice, but will need to adjust the cooking time (see instructions on the recipe card below).
- chicken soup – I use low sodium chicken brothbut there are regular even bone broth will work too.
- fresh parsley – Optional, for decoration.
How to Make Chicken and Rice in the Instant Pot
This section shows how to make Instant Pot Chicken and Rice, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique to help you visualize it.For full instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- Season the chicken. Sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Grilled chicken. Add olive oil to it instant pot (or any pressure cooker) and set it to saute mode. Brown the chicken on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Fried vegetables. Add more olive oil. Saute diced onions and carrots until soft. Add garlic and rice and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add garlic and rice. Add the minced garlic and washed rice to the Instant Pot and sauté until fragrant.
- Add liquid. Turn off saute mode and add chicken stock. Stir until combined.
- Pressure cook. Place a trivet in the Instant Pot and place the chicken breasts on top. Close the lid and set the pressure relief valve to the sealing position. Place the chicken and rice in the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure and allow for natural release.
- fluff. Remove rack with chicken. Stir in the peas – they’ll cook from the residual heat. Fluff the rice mixture with a fork.
- enjoy. Garnish instant chicken and rice with fresh parsley, if desired.
Tips for the Best Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
This recipe is simple, but here are some helpful tips:
- Don’t crowd the pan when frying. Depending on the size of the Instant Pot you have, you may need to saute two chicken breasts at a time to get a better sear.
- Rinse the rice. Rinse the rice before adding to the Instant Pot to prevent clumps.
- Don’t skip natural release. If you release the pressure too quickly, the rice will stick to the bottom.
- Use a tripod. Do not add the chicken directly to the rice. Placing the chicken on a trivet above the rice helps prevent the chicken from sticking to the bottom and reduces the risk of burning, ensuring the chicken and rice cook evenly without burning.
- Spicy – Add spices like cayenne pepper, paprika, or red pepper flakes to add heat to dishes. Sprinkle them over chicken before roasting, or mix them with rice and broth before cooking for a spicier flavor.
- Creamy – After cooking, remove chicken and set aside. Add 1/4 cup heavy cream and a few ounces cream cheese to the cooked rice and stir until creamy.
- cheesy – Once the pressure is released, sprinkle shredded cheese (such as cheddar, mozzarella, Parmesan, or Monterey Jack) over the Instant Pot chicken and rice. Cover and let cheese melt. (You can also stir it into rice if you like.)
- lemon – Add a few tablespoons of lemon juice and a teaspoon of lemon zest to the pot along with the chicken stock. (You can also brush some lemon juice on the chicken before dressing if you like.)
- Shop: Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
- Meal Preparation: Cook a batch ahead of time and portion it into individual meal boxes. Store chicken and rice separately to maintain texture and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: When ready to eat leftover Instant Pot rice and chicken, simply reheat in the microwave or stovetop until warm.
- freeze: Cool completely, then transfer to an airtight freezer-safe container or zip-top bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
What to serve with instant chicken and rice
More Easy Chicken and Rice Recipes
Up your chicken and rice game with these mouthwatering creations.You might also like my other one Instant Pot Recipes!
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Make instant chicken and rice in a flash! Juicy chicken, cooked rice, peas, and carrots come together for an easy one-pot meal.
Prepare: 10 minute
chef: 25 minute
Pressurization time 10 minute
All: 45 minute
Serving size: 4 (Adjust according to recipe proportion)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where you get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Click on the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
Season chicken with half the Italian seasoning (1 teaspoon), sea salt, and black pepper.
Add 2 tablespoons olive oil instant pot and set it to saute mode.Fry the chicken 3-4 minutes Cook on each side until browned. (Do not crowd the pan. You may need to fry 2 at a time for better searing.) Remove and set aside.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onions and carrots.Fry it 5-6 minutesuntil softened.
Add the garlic and washed rice to the Instant Pot.Fry again 1-2 minutes.
Turn off saute mode and add chicken stock. Stir until combined.
Place a rack into the Instant Pot and place the chicken breasts on top. Close the lid and set the knob to “Sealing.”Pressure cook the chicken and rice in the Instant Pot 12 minutesthere is one 5 minutes Natural release. (If using white or jasmine rice, reduce cooking time to 10 minutes.)
Remove rack with chicken. Stir in peas.Place lid on pot for extra 5 minutesthen fluff with a fork.
Garnish instant chicken and rice with fresh parsley, if desired.
The last step: leave a rating!
Share your recipe images by tagging them @wholesomeyum and add tags to it #wholesomeyum exist Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 chicken breast + 1 cup rice and vegetable mixture
Nutritional information does not include optional parsley.
Amount per serving. Serving sizes in recipe instructions above.
Calories Chapter 596
fat 18.1 grams
protein 56.1 grams
total carbohydrates 50.6 grams
net carbs 44.6 grams
fiber 6 grams
sugar 5.6 grams
Nutritional facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you’re getting different results?Please check out our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes Social media or website. We’d love for you to share a link with your photo. 🙂