This post may contain affiliate links to help keep this content free. (full disclosure)
along with Broccoli Cheese Soupthis Instant Pot Corn Chowder This is one of the soups I make most often when my girls are craving comfort food. them love the creamy texture, and I Love it so much faster than other methods, with simple whole food ingredients, and without any added flour or cornstarch substitute. Anytime you need a quick and comfortable meal, Corn Chowder in the Instant Pot is perfect!
Why you’ll love this Instant Pot Corn Chowder Recipe
- Cheesy Corn
- Thick, smooth and creamy texture
- Use basic groceries and pantry staples
- Ready in just 10 minutes
- Naturally gluten-free and vegetarian
- Cooks entirely in the pressure cooker, so no need to watch the soup on the stove
- Delicious soup recipes that are easy to customize!
Ingredients and Substitution Instructions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder, what each ingredient does in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements, see Recipe card below.
- butter – For sautéing garlic and onions. I prefer grass fed butter, but use any unsalted variety you like. You can also switch to olive oil.
- onion – Use chopped yellow or white onions.
- garlic – Fresh minced garlic tastes best, but canned minced garlic will also work.
- Potato – Use any potato you like. They help thicken the soup and make it more filling. While you can leave the skin on, peeling it will give the soup a smoother texture. (If you want a low-carb alternative, you can substitute cauliflower and cut the cooking time in half.)
- corn – This instant corn chowder recipe works with fresh corn, leftover corn on the cob (cut off the cob), canned corn, or frozen corn kernels. I used fresh corn kernels.
- chicken soup – This recipe uses a low sodium broth, but use whatever variety you like…or make chicken bone soup instead. To make vegan corn chowder for the Instant Pot, just use vegetable stock instead.
- seasoning – sea salt, black pepper, fresh thyme leaves and Italian seasoning (store bought is fine, but I prefer Homemade Italian Seasoning).
- sour cream – As the name suggests, makes the soup creamy. You can also use heavy cream (the soup will be a little thinner if you do this) or plain greek yogurt (be careful to turn off the heat while stirring so it doesn’t separate).
- mozzarella cheese – Cheese flavor. Chop by hand, or use a pre-chopped variety to save time. You can also substitute other shredded cheese if you prefer a stronger flavor (see the variations section below).
How to Make Corn Chowder in the Instant Pot
This section describes how to make Instant Pot Corn Chowder healthy, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique to help you visualize it.For complete instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- saute. closure instant pot to the fry setting. Add butter and melt. Add garlic and onion and sauté until onion starts to brown.
- Boil the corn. Add the corn to the pot and cook for a few minutes.
- pressure cooker. Stir in potatoes, broth and seasonings. Close the lid, set the pressure valve to seal, and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Carefully vent the valve completely and remove the cap.
- Bold. Add the sour cream and cheese and stir until melted.
- purée. use Immersion Blender, stir the soup until completely smooth. If desired, thin with broth or adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve. Ladle soup into bowls. You can garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme, or simply chopped fresh parsley.
- Instant Pot Corn Chowder with Bacon – Cook the bacon in your favorite way (I like Bacon in the oven or Air Fryer Bacon the best! ) and crumble on the soup before serving. You can also cook directly in the pan before starting other recipes, then set aside and cook the garlic and onions in step 1 with the refined fat instead of the butter.
- Instant Pot Chicken Corn Chowder – Add your favorite cooked chicken to the soup after mixing and before serving.any leftovers Instant Pot Shredded Chicken good results!
- add more vegetables – This chowder is also delicious with finely diced red bell peppers, carrots, or celery. Just add to the pot at the same time as the garlic and onion.
- change cheese – You can easily substitute shredded cheddar, pepper jack, or any hard melted cheese for the mozzarella in this recipe.
- Add spices – Add a pinch of chili powder, diced jalapeño or Homemade Cajun Seasoning Extra kick.
- Shop: Cool completely and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Heat the soup on low power on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- freeze: Avoid freezing this chowder as the texture will change.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
in all my Pressure Cooker Recipes, soup is the easiest! Try these recipes next:
Instant Pot Corn Chowder
Instant Pot Corn Chowder turns basic ingredients into a creamy, hearty soup! It’s also easy to make with just 10 minutes of prep time.
Prepare: 10 minute
chef: 40 minute
All: 50 minute
Serving Size: 6 (Adjust the scale recipe)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Tap the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
turn your instant pot to the fry setting. Once hot, add the butter and let it melt.
Add garlic and onion.fried about 2 minutesuntil the onions start to brown.
Stir in corn.cook for another 2 minutesstirring constantly.
Add potatoes, chicken stock, salt, pepper and herbs.
Close the lid, turn the turntable to seal, and set to high pressure 15 minutes. When done, move the turntable to vent (be careful – hot steam will come out!). Only remove the cover when no more steam is coming out.
Add sour cream and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
use one Handheld Immersion Blender, puree until the soup is completely smooth. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender, or blend in batches if it doesn’t fit.)
You can thin the soup with more broth if desired, or adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount per serving. Serving Sizes in Recipe Instructions Above.
protein 7 grams
total carbohydrates 29 grams
net carbs 25.3 grams
fiber 3.7 grams
sugar 4.7 grams
Nutrition Facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about the calculation or why you get different results?see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes to social media or websites. We want you to share the link with the photo. 🙂