This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. (full disclosure)
i love a good Roasted sweet potatoesbut when time is of the essence, these Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes Come to the rescue.They cook just as fast Instant Pot Baked Potatoesbut mostly hands-off preparation (like many other Instant Pot Recipes).Plus, they can be easily customized to make complete healthy dinner!
Why You’ll Love These Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Rich and natural sweetness
- Soft texture that melts in your mouth
- Cooking time is only about 15 minutes (see schedule below)
- Ready in less than 30 minutes (include It’s time to take the pressure)
- Healthy and naturally gluten-free
- Versatile and customizable
Ingredients and Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Instant Pot Roasted Sweet Potatoes, what each ingredient does in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements see Recipe card below.
- sweet potato – Choose ones that are roughly the same size so they cook at the same rate. You can also use white or purple varieties, or even yams, to make this Instant Pot sweet potato recipe.
- sea salt and black pepper
- butter – While butter is optional, for me, it’s a must-have for the topping! See our other top ideas below.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot
This section shows you how to make Instant Pot sweet potatoes, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique to help you visualize it.For full instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- Prepare potatoes. Wash and rinse the sweet potatoes. Poke holes here and there with a fork to deflate.
- Place in Instant Pot. Pour water into the bottom of a container instant pot.add one tripod or steam basket, place sweet potatoes on top.
- Pressure cook. Set the pressure cooker to manual (high pressure), put the lid on, turn the knob to seal, and set the time according to the size of the potatoes. (See schedule below!)
- Natural release. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then switch the valve to the “vent” position for the remainder of the release. When steam no longer comes out, open the lid.
- enjoy. Remove each Instant Pot sweet potato and cut a slit lengthwise. Top with butter (if desired), sea salt, black pepper, or other toppings of your choice.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Timetable
The time to cook sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot depends on the size of the sweet potatoes. Use this handy schedule – this assumes the pressure releases naturally after cooking:
|Instant Pot Time (Minutes)
Variations: Use the Instant Pot instead of sweet potato cubes!
To shorten cooking time, cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes and set Instant Pot to high pressure for 3 minutes. Allow 5-10 minutes to come to pressure, then pressure cook for 3 minutes. When the time is up, perform a quick release rather than waiting for a natural release.
- Shop: After cooking the sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- Meal Preparation: Cook a batch ahead of time, cool, and store in individual containers with your favorite foods chicken or fish An easy main course for lunch. (My favorite is adding half a sweet potato Chicken meal preparation.)
- Reheat: Warm in the microwave or in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- freeze: Wrap tightly and freeze whole in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag for up to 4 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes go with just about anything! Try some of these ideas:
More Easy Sweet Potato Recipes
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite nutritional comfort foods! Try these different ways to make them:
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes (Quick and Easy!)
Perfect instant sweet potatoes take less than 30 minutes to prepare as a side dish or meal. Includes schedules in different sizes!
Prepare: 5 minute
chef: 14 minute
Pressurization time 10 minute
All: 29 minute
Serving size: 4 (Adjust according to recipe proportion)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where you get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Click on the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
Rinse the sweet potatoes, making sure the skins are clean. Use a fork to poke holes in the sweet potatoes to deflate them.
Pour 1 cup water into the bottom instant pot (1.5 cups if using an 8-quart Instant Pot).
Add to tripod Then place the sweet potatoes on top.
Set the Instant Pot to manual, then select high pressure and set the time:
* Small sweet potatoes (4-6 oz) – 11 minutes
* Medium sweet potatoes (7-8 ounces) – 14 minutes
* Large sweet potatoes (9-11 oz) – 17 minutes
* Extra large sweet potatoes (12 ounces or more) – 25 minutes
It takes about 10 minutes When the Instant Pot reaches pressure, the time will begin counting down.
Let stress release naturally 10 minutes, then carefully switch the knob to “Exhaust” for the remainder of the release. Wait until there is no more steam coming out, then twist and open the lid.
Remove potatoes and cut a slit lengthwise in each potato. Top with butter (if desired), sea salt, black pepper, or other toppings of your choice.
The last step: leave a rating!
Share your recipe images by tagging them @wholesomeyum and add tags to it #wholesomeyum exist Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 sweet potato
Nutritional information does not include optional butter.
Amount per serving. Serving sizes in recipe instructions above.
protein 3.2 grams
total carbohydrates 40.2 grams
net carbs 34.2 grams
fiber 6 grams
sugar 8.3 grams
Nutritional facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you’re getting different results?Please check out our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes Social media or website. We’d love for you to share a link with your photo. 🙂