This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. (full disclosure)
this Cajun Chicken Recipe It tasted a lot like Cajun-style dishes I’d tried in New Orleans and Texas last spring: Tender chicken smothered in a luscious, creamy Cajun sauce with a little extra kick from fresh lime and cilantro.It has a rich, velvety creamy texture, just like the sauce inside Mushroom Chickenbut with bold and vibrant flavors such as Cajun cod and blackened chicken.for one healthy dinner The recipe calls for some heat, you have to try this!
Why You’ll Love This Cajun Chicken Recipe
- Bold and vibrant Cajun flavor
- Chicken is tender and juicy
- Creamy, luscious sauce
- easy to make
- Perfect for a hearty and delicious meal
Ingredients and Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Cajun chicken, the role of each ingredient in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements see Recipe card below.
- chicken – For this Cajun chicken recipe, I chose boneless skinless chicken breasts, but boneless skinless chicken thighs will also work.
- cajun seasoning – I used my own homemade cajun seasoning (It only takes 5 minutes!), made with a simple spice combination: chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. If you prefer, you can use store-bought Cajun seasoning.
- olive oil – For roasting chicken. You can also use avocado oil or any neutral heat-resistant oil.
- butter – Used to sauté garlic and add richness to sauces. If you prefer, you can substitute another tablespoon of olive oil.
- garlic – Fresh minced garlic will give you the best flavor, or use 1 1/2 teaspoons instead canned minced garlic For convenience.
- diced tomatoes – canned diced tomatoes Give the Cajun chicken sauce a tangy and sweet flavor, but you can also use crushed tomatoes, tomato paste for a smoother consistency, or 1 pound of fresh diced tomatoes for a brighter, more vibrant flavor.
- chicken soup – use reduced sodium broth, because the Cajun seasoning and cream cheese are already salty.You can also use bone broth for extra flavor and nutrients.
- heavy cream – Adds richness and creaminess to Cajun chicken recipes. If you want a dairy-free option, use full-fat coconut milk.
- cream cheese – Helps thicken sauces without any thickening agents. Soften the cream cheese at room temperature for about 30 minutes before using in the recipe. If you don’t have cream cheese, you can substitute Parmesan cheese. (I use it to thicken Creamy Lemon Chicken It will work the same way here. )
- lime juice – I often use bottled lime juice For convenience, but freshly squeezed lime juice tastes better.
- sea salt and black pepper
- Optional decoration – Lime wedges and fresh cilantro are the perfect finishing touch! If you don’t like cilantro, you can substitute fresh parsley.
Variation: Add mushrooms to the sauce!
Sauté in butter before adding garlic.
How to Make Cajun Chicken
This section shows how to make the Cajun Chicken recipe, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique to help you visualize it.For full instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- Season the chicken. Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Season both sides with Cajun seasoning.
- Grilled chicken. Heat olive oil in a pan Oven safe frying pan Use medium-high heat. Add the chicken and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- bake. Transfer pan to oven and bake until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Transfer Cajun chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Sauté the garlic. Add butter to the same pan and melt over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan. Add diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Increase heat to bring liquid to a boil, then reduce to medium and simmer.
- Add cream. Add the heavy cream and continue cooking for a few minutes until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Thicken the sauce. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. (You can add more cream cheese if you want it thicker.)
- Adjust seasoning. Stir in lime juice. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- decorate. Return the Cajun chicken to the pan and spoon the sauce over it. Garnish with lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
- Shop: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheat: You can reheat Cajun chicken in the microwave or on the stovetop over low to medium heat.
- freeze: Cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
What to serve with Cajun Chicken
Creamy Cajun Chicken is rich in flavor, so it’s best paired with lighter side dishes. Here are some ideas:
More Creamy Chicken Breast Recipes
Hope to add more deliciousness chicken recipes Into your rotation? Here are some of my other favorites:
Cajun Chicken (creamy, easy dinner!)
Savor the bold flavors in this Cajun chicken recipe featuring tender spicy chicken, creamy sauce, a hint of lime, and fresh cilantro.
Prepare: 10 minute
chef: 35 minute
All: 45 minute
Serving size: 4 (Adjust according to recipe proportion)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where you get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Click on the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 degrees Celsius).
Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Season chicken on both sides with Cajun seasoning.
Heat olive oil in a pan oven safe pot Use medium-high heat.Add chicken and stir-fry 5 minutes per side.
Transfer the pot to the oven and cook for approx. 15 minutesor until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit (74 degrees Celsius).
Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Add butter to the same pan and melt over medium-high heat.
Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add diced tomatoes and chicken broth.use a wooden spoon Scrape any browned bits from bottom of pan.Increase heat to bring liquid to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and bring to a boil 5 minutes.
Add heavy cream.Cook for a while 5 minutesuntil the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Add cream cheese and stir until melted. (You can add more if you want the sauce to be thicker.)
Stir in lime juice. Season the sauce with sea salt and black pepper.
Return chicken to pan and spoon sauce over top. Garnish with lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
The last step: leave a rating!
Share your recipe images by tagging them @wholesomeyum and add tags to it #wholesomeyum exist Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 Cajun Chicken Breast + Sauce
This recipe makes about 3 cups of sauce, enough for the chicken, plus more to drizzle over rice or cauliflower rice and serve.
Amount per serving. Serving sizes in recipe instructions above.
fat 38.7 grams
protein 53.1 grams
total carbohydrates 9.9 grams
net carbs 7.7 grams
fiber 2.2 grams
sugar 5.1 grams
Nutritional facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you’re getting different results?Please check out our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes Social media or website. We’d love for you to share a link with your photo. 🙂