Thursday, October 6, 2022
Homepet healthIs a small amount of chocolate harmful to dogs?

Is a small amount of chocolate harmful to dogs?


We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this article.

Most people realize that chocolate is poisonous to dogs.

But dogs do not realize that chocolate is poisonous to dogs.

Therefore, when your dog sneaks a bite of your biscuits or a circle of hot cocoa, you may panic-until you find that a higher dose is required to send your dog to the emergency room.

Some dog parents accepted this idea and stick to it, giving their dog M&M’s as a treat and giving them a bite of chocolate cake.

Or they would report that their dog personally ate a whole box of Valentine’s Day chocolates, and nothing happened to them at all.

I don’t want to be alarmist, but I also want to protect all dogs. So, this is why I want you to know that indifference to dogs eating chocolate can be dangerous.

Why is chocolate bad for dogs?

Chocolate is toxic to humans All dogs. No dog is immune to its effects.

Chocolate contains theobromine, A compound similar to caffeine and cocaine. A very dark chocolate contains almost as much caffeine as a cup of coffee.

The theobromine and caffeine in chocolate are stimulants. For humans, this is why we become a little excited when we eat chocolate, and it elevates our emotions.

But dogs metabolize theobromine and caffeine much more slowly, so even small amounts can overstimulate their nervous system.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include hyperactivity, shaking, drooling, vomiting, Seizures, Arrhythmia (rapid heartbeat), even death.

How much chocolate can a dog eat?

If your dog accidentally eats chocolate, you can use Chocolate Toxicity Calculator To determine if you should seek veterinary care immediately.

Matilda weighs five pounds.An ounce milk Chocolate is moderately toxic to her and she may need medical attention.

1 ounce of chocolate = 3 Hershey’s mini chocolates or 2 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips.

Your dog’s symptoms are not a good measure of whether she needs medical attention. Don’t “wait and see”. It takes 30 minutes or more for symptoms to appear, because by then, chocolate will begin to pass through her stomach, and theobromine and caffeine will have entered her bloodstream.

Why is there a problem even with “safe” quantities

The drug theobromine is fat-soluble. Fat-soluble substances stay in the body longer than water-soluble substances. Over time, they can be stored and accumulated in your body fat.

This is why it is okay to take too much water-soluble vitamins such as vitamin C, but too much fat-soluble vitamin A can cause toxicity, even if taken for a long time.

The biological value of theobromine’s half-life in dogs is 17.5 hours. This means that in almost a whole day, only half of the drug will be eliminated from your dog’s body.

We don’t know how long it takes your dog’s body to get rid of theobromine.

If you give your dog a “safe” amount of chocolate today, and give you a “safe” amount of chocolate tomorrow, is it okay? In addition to the obvious medical emergency, will it have a lasting impact?

we do not know.

Dog food and drugs must be tested for months and months before they can be marketed.Why give your dog something that you know is not safe for them There is no recommended safe dose When there are so many delicious treats suitable for dogs?

Chocolate has No tested safe dosage For dogs.

Consequences of giving your dog chocolate as a treat

So, what is the harm of a few small chocolate chips?

Well, although your dog may run over when he hears you rustling any packaging, even if it’s inedible, they Really Cheer up when they smell or hear what you always give them.

I don’t remember the last time I ate a whole banana by myself. Matilda and Cow always have a bite. Therefore, every time I peel bananas, no matter how quiet they are, they will appear immediately.

If you give your dog chocolate habitually, she will believe that “this is for me” and she is much more likely to eat unattended chocolate.

Now, if given the opportunity, a dog that has never eaten chocolate may still eat some. But she might at least hesitate, “What is this?” instead of swallowing it without thinking.

In addition, if “dogs can sometimes eat chocolate” becomes a commonplace meal, your partner, children, and others who live with you may decide to give your dog some too. So, if you give your dog a “safe amount” of chocolate at lunch, and your partner is not at home to see it, so they give your dog more chocolate later, what will happen?

This is a simple house rule. The puppy has no chocolate!

Can I give my dog ​​white chocolate?

Theobromine and caffeine are both in cocoa powder. Dark chocolate has the highest concentration, and milk chocolate has a lower concentration, but it is still dangerous enough.

White chocolate has zero cocoa powder, but it is made from cocoa butter and the content of theobromine is negligible.

However, white chocolate is mostly just fat and sugar. Enough fat can cause acute pancreatitis in your dog, and over time, enough sugar will eventually cause your dog to develop diabetes.

So this is the safeYes In all chocolate for dogs, it is not a necessary part of their diet.

Yes, they do make chocolate for dogs

Have you heard of carob tree?

It is used as a chocolate substitute. It is made from a different plant. The pods are similar to those of the cacao tree, but are completely safe for dogs.

It is common for dog bakeries and dog food companies to use carob to make “chocolate” biscuits, cakes and other foods that dogs can safely eat.

You can buy carob flakes at Whole Foods and other places Amazon (Check prices.)

What should I do if my dog ​​eats chocolate?

If your dog has eaten enough chocolate to achieve moderate to severe toxicity, send them to the nearest animal hospital as soon as possible. Don’t wait for symptoms.

Veterinarians can induce vomiting and usually use charcoal to absorb any toxins remaining in the digestive tract.

Unless your veterinarian instructs you otherwise, you should not induce vomiting at home alone, as this may not be enough to prevent the absorption of certain toxins.

If your dog eats a small amount but has problems, call your veterinarian, emergency veterinarian or Helpline for pet poisoning.

Lindsay Peffney
Lindsay Pevny is committed to helping pet parents make the best choices for their pets by providing actionable, science-based training and care skills, as well as insightful pet product reviews.

She still used Her pet copywriting business Make sure to find the best pet products and services online through compelling copywriting and interesting, informative blog posts.She also provides Product description writing service For e-commerce companies.

As the dog mother of Matilda and Cow, she spends most of her time walking long distances and practicing new skills, and most of her time trying to make the most of a small part of her bed.

You will also find her baking bread and homemade pizza, laughing, painting and shopping.



Source link

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Recent Comments