FREE: Healthy Freezer Recipes eBook
i usually do Grilled lobster tail or Air Fryer Lobster Tails (Yes, really!) When I’m in the mood for delicious seafood, but a whole cooked lobster I recently found at the grocery store inspired me to recreate this lobster Recipes I’ve had at restaurants in the past.Although the lobster is already delicious dinner recipes On its own, this dish takes it up a notch. The juicy meat is paired with a buttery wine sauce, topped with Parmesan cheese, and grilled to perfection, giving you the ultimate elegant Chinese meal…at a fraction of the restaurant cost!
Why You’ll Love This Lobster Thermidor Recipe
- Lobster meat is tender and juicy
- Rich and delicious flavor
- Cream, cream wine sauce
- Common ingredients
- On the table in less than an hour
- Great for special occasions or seafood lover
What is Lobster Thermidor?
Lobster Thermidor is a classic French dish in which lobster meat is cooked in a rich wine sauce, then returned to the lobster shell and browned. This is the perfect meal for special occasions.
Ingredients and Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Lobster Thermidor, the role of each ingredient in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements see Recipe card below.
- boiled lobster – I prefer to buy cooked whole lobsters for convenience, but you can cook your own live lobsters if you prefer – just boil them for 8 to 12 minutes per pound. You can also make this recipe with lobster tails instead of whole lobsters, but if you only use tail meat, the quantities of other ingredients may be less.
- butter – I use unsalted butterbut regular salted butter (less salt added to the recipe) or clarified cream Also works.
- onion – Adds subtle sweetness and flavor. If you prefer, you can substitute chopped sweet onions.
- garlic – Fresh minced garlic will give you the best flavor, but you could easily use 1 tsp canned minced garlic To save time.
- Liquor – If you prefer a non-alcoholic option, you can substitute chicken or vegetable broth for the white wine.
- heavy cream – Makes the sauce rich and creamy. You can substitute it with half and half for a lighter option, but more Parmesan cheese may be needed to thicken the sauce enough.
- sea salt and black pepper
- parmesan cheese – The traditional Lobster Thermidor recipe uses flour to make a roux to thicken the sauce, but I just used grated Parmesan cheese to thicken the sauce. I also used julienne as a topping, but you can use the same kind.
- Dijon mustard – Adds depth of flavor. Feel free to substitute yellow or grained mustard for a slightly different flavor.
- fresh herbs – The classic herbs for restaurant quality Lobster Thermidor are fresh parsley and fresh tarragon. You can use only one of them.
- Lemon slices – Optional service, but I highly recommend it!
How to Make Lobster Thermidor
This section shows how to make the best Lobster Thermidor recipe, with step-by-step photos and detailed information about the technique to help you visualize it.For full instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- Prepare the lobster. Twist off the claws, open them and remove the meat. Cut off the front legs.Use a sharp knife or kitchen scissors Cut each lobster in half lengthwise. Rinse to remove any soft green stuff (called tomali) inside. Remove the meat from the lobster and cut into small pieces.
- Fry aromatics. Melt the cream in the pan large frying pan Heat over medium heat. Add the scallions and garlic and sauté until soft and fragrant.
- Deglaze and cook sauce. Add the white wine and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Cook for a few minutes. Add heavy cream, salt and pepper. Cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Complete filling. Add the grated Parmesan cheese and stir until the lobster thermidor sauce melts and thickens. Stir in mustard, parsley and tarragon. Finally, add the chopped lobster, stir to coat, and remove from heat.
- Fill lobster shells. Divide lobster mixture between lobster halves and fill each half full.Place in panand sprinkle with chopped Parmesan cheese.
- bake. Cook Lobster Thermidor under the oven until cheese is melted and golden brown. Garnish with more parsley and freshly squeezed lemon juice if desired.
- Shop: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.You can also make this with leftover lobster meat lobster bisque or a Lobster Salad.
- Reheat: Heat in oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes.
- freeze: You can freeze lobster in Thermidor, but it’s not ideal and it won’t be as good as fresh. If you still want to store it, place it in a ziplock bag or container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 months.
What to serve with Lobster Thermidor
More elegant seafood recipes
Want to make more elegant, restaurant-quality meals at home? Try some of these ideas:
This Lobster Thermidor recipe slow-cooks tender lobster in a creamy Parmesan sauce and then bakes it in the lobster shell. Home restaurant quality!
Prepare: 20 Every minute
chef: 20 Every minute
All: 40 Every minute
Serving size: 4 (Adjust according to recipe proportion)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where you get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Click on the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to high baking (500-550 degrees F (260-288 degrees C)).
To prepare cooked lobster, start by twisting off the claws. Crack the claws open and take out the claw meat. Discard the claw shell. Cut off the front legs.Use a sharp knife or kitchen scissors, cut each lobster in half lengthwise. Flush to remove any mucus (the soft, green stuff found in body cavities).
Remove meat from lobster. Chop all lobster meat into small pieces.
Melt the cream in the pan large frying pan Heat over medium heat.Add onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutesuntil soft and fragrant.
Add the wine and use a wooden spoon to scrape the glaze off the bottom of the pan.simmer until 2 minutes.
Add heavy cream, salt and pepper.simmer until 5-6 minutesuntil the liquid is reduced by half.
Add the grated Parmesan cheese and stir until melted and thickened. Stir in mustard, parsley and tarragon.
Add the chopped lobster, stir to coat, and remove from heat.
Divide lobster mixture among 4 lobster shells, filling each shell to the top.Place in pan.
Top each lobster with 1/4 cup chopped Parmesan cheese.Place the pan on the top rack of the oven and bake 5 minutesuntil cheese is melted and golden brown.
Remove from oven and garnish with more parsley. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
The last step: leave a rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to offer free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 half lobster
Amount per serving. Serving sizes in recipe instructions above.
fat 41.7 grams
protein 18.4 grams
total carbohydrates 7.5 grams
net carbs 6.8 grams
sugar 3.3 grams
Nutritional facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you’re getting different results?Please check out our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes Social media or website. We’d love for you to share a link with a photo. 🙂