A New York man confessed to raping and sexually assaulting four young girls in his parents’ home, thus avoiding prison.
20-year-old Christopher Belter faces up to eight years in prison after pleading guilty to felony charges of rape and sexual abuse in 2019.
However, according to WKBW, on Tuesday, Niagara County Court Judge Matthew Murphy sentenced Belt to only eight years of probation. He must also be registered as a sex offender.
Murphy told the court that he had “distressed” how the sentence was sentenced before the final decision was made that the time of imprisonment was “inappropriate”.
Murphy said: “I am not ashamed to say that I actually prayed for the proper sentence in this case, because there was a lot of pain. There was a lot of harm. There were many crimes committed in this case.” In my opinion, a sentence involving imprisonment or partial imprisonment is inappropriate, so I want to sentence you to a suspended sentence.”
Murphy also told Belt that probation would be “a sword hanging on your head for the next eight years.”
The ruling shocked the court. A reporter tweeted that one of Belt’s victims was “obviously depressed.”
Steven Cohen, a lawyer for one of the victims, told reporters that “justice was not served today.” He later told reporters Washington post His client vomited after the sentence was pronounced.
“If Chris Belt was not a white defendant from a wealthy and influential family, based on my experience…he would definitely be sentenced to jail,” Cohen told the newspaper.
Between February 2017 and August 2018, the attack on four girls who were 15 or 16 years old at the time occurred at Belt’s home in the wealthy neighborhood of Lewiston.
Allegations against family members
State police said that Belt’s mother, stepfather and a family friend used alcohol and marijuana to help the victims train. All three pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor charges of endangering children and illegally dealing with children.
Belt was initially charged with first-degree rape, but he pleaded guilty to lesser third-degree rape and first-degree attempted sexual abuse in 2019.according to Buffalo news, The retired judge Sara Sheldon gave him a two-year temporary probation, giving him the opportunity to obtain juvenile offender status, which would limit his maximum imprisonment and prevent him from having to register as a sex offender.
Shelton predicted at the time that it would be difficult for Belt to follow the rules she imposed. According to reports, he admitted last month that he had violated the probation policy by installing software that allowed him to view pornographic content on his computer. news.
Murphy denied his status as a juvenile offender and ruled that Belt will be sentenced as an adult last month. “When Judge Murphy denies the identity of the young offender, it is assumed that Chris Belt will be sentenced to jail,” Cohen told post. “The defendant has repeatedly violated Judge Shelton’s probation clause and there will be absolutely no consequences.”
When they left the court, Barry Covert, Berthe’s lawyer, said his client was “very regrettable.”
Regret his crime
Belt also expressed regret for his crimes in a statement before the sentencing. According to WKBW, Belt said: “Through treatment and reflection, I feel deeply ashamed and regret my actions.”
He said to his victim: “None of you should be in this situation. I hope that each of you can close my cut. But I know that scars will be left as a reminder of evil that night.”
Cohen and Covert have been contacted for further comments.
stock



