This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. (full disclosure)
I’ve been looking for ways healthy recipes Faster and easier for my family.oven Roasted Spaghetti Squash (whole or half) is my go-to method for cooking fall squash, but sometimes I need something last minute. After numerous attempts, I stumbled upon a faster and simpler method: Microwave Spaghetti Squash. Here’s a foolproof method that only takes 10 minutes!
Just like baking, you can cook the spaghetti squash whole or cut in half in the microwave. I prefer to cook it whole for a few reasons. First, microwaving the whole spaghetti squash avoids cutting it raw, making it safer and easier. Second, the squash retains its texture and doesn’t burn or dry out. Finally, there’s no need for a cutting board, which means there’s less to clean. Win-win!
Why you’ll love microwave spaghetti squash
- Cooking time is much shorter than in the oven – just 10 minutes!
- Perfectly fork-tender noodles
- Neutral flavor, goes well with anything
- No need for the hassle of cutting hard squash in half
- Naturally low carb and gluten free
- Versatile and delicious pasta substitute
- Enjoy alone or for other purposes Spaghetti Squash Recipe
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave
This section explains how to microwave spaghetti squash, with step-by-step photos and detailed information about the technique to help you visualize it.For full instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- pierce. Place squash on a microwave-safe plate. Using a sharp knife, poke some holes in the spaghetti squash. (This prevents steam from building up in the pumpkin so it doesn’t explode – don’t skip this step.)
- microwave. Cook whole spaghetti squash in the microwave, flipping halfway through cooking time (see schedule below).
- Check. Pierce the pumpkin skin again to check for doneness.
Tip: How do you know the pumpkin is done?
The knife should be able to penetrate the skin with very little resistance. (You don’t want it to pierce too smoothly, as that means the squash will overcook and become mushy.) If there’s too much resistance, it’s not done yet, so continue cooking in 1-2 minute intervals as needed.
- Cool and cut. Remove pumpkin from microwave and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise and place cut side up.
- Fluffy and in season. Use a spoon to remove seeds, then break spaghetti squash flesh in half with a fork. Season with olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper, or use in other recipes.
How long does it take to microwave spaghetti squash?
Cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave takes 8 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the squash. Start with 8 to 10 minutes for 1-2 pounds of squash, and add an additional 2 minutes for each additional pound.
Here is a schedule for different sizes of microwave spaghetti squash:
|extra small||2-3 pounds||10-12 minutes|
|small||3-4 pounds||12-14 minutes|
|Moderate||4-5 pounds||14-16 minutes|
|big||6-7 pounds||16-18 minutes|
|extra large||7-8 pounds||18-20 minutes|
- Shop: Store microwaved spaghetti squash in an airtight container in the refrigerator, with or without the skin, for up to 5-7 days.
- Reheat: Warm leftover spaghetti squash in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or reheat in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- freeze: Place noodles in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag and store in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight or place in a ziplock bag submerged in water on the counter, then reheat or use in recipes.
How to use microwave spaghetti squash
Cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave provides a quick, easy, and healthy pasta alternative that can be used in so many different ways! Here are some of my all-time favorite ways to use it in recipes:
- sauce – Serve microwave spaghetti squash with your favorite sauce as a pasta alternative.try it Sugar-free Manala Sauce (or other tomato sauce), creamy alfredo sauceor full of energy vanilla sauce.
- cheese – In addition to the olive oil, salt and pepper, I like to top it with Parmesan cheese. You can also mix in other cheeses, such as mozzarella or cheddar.
- Spaghetti Squash Recipe – Use it to speed up the preparation of recipes that already require cooked spaghetti squash, e.g. Spaghetti Squash Lasagna, Thai keto pador creamy Italian Pumpkin Carbonara.
- chicken – Shredded spaghetti squash is the perfect base for spicy chicken dishes, such as Mushroom ChickenCreamy Cajun Chickenor Garlic Butter Chicken.But you can also provide it using simple options like Healthy Grilled Chicken Breast.
- Steak – Set it aside with the tender meat sirloin steakor new york strip If you’re feeling weird.
- fish – mine Grilled cod and pan-fry Halibut Recipe Both come with a delicious sauce to drizzle over the microwaved spaghetti squash, but you can’t go wrong with a simple pairing grilled salmonanyone.
- Soup – One of my favorite ways to use it is to make low carb chicken soup!You can also add noodles to other soups, e.g. Coconut Curry Soup or vegetable soupor replace in zoodles Keto Pho Use spaghetti squash instead.
- Casserole – Made using microwave shortcuts Italian Squash Casserolereplace the cauliflower with Pizza Casserolestuff the noodles into one Chicken Bacon Ranch Casseroleor even mix them into Breakfast Casserole.
Microwave Spaghetti Squash (Quick and Easy)
Microwave spaghetti squash for tender noodles in just minutes! Learn the best ways to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave along with serving suggestions.
Prepare: 2 Every minute
chef: 8 Every minute
All: 10 Every minute
Serving size: 6 (Adjust according to recipe proportion)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where you get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Click on the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
Place squash on a microwave-safe plate. Using a sharp paring knife, pierce spaghetti squash all over.
Cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave, turning halfway through.The starting point is 8-10 minutes For 1-2 pounds of squash, add an additional 2 minutes for each additional pound of weight.For example, a 2-3 pound pumpkin requires 10-12 minutesa 3-4 pound pumpkin requires 12-14 minutesa 4-5 pound pumpkin requires 14-16 minutesa 6-7 pound pumpkin requires 16-18 minutesa 7-8 pound pumpkin requires 18-20 minutes.
To check for doneness, pierce the skin again with a paring knife. The knife should be able to penetrate the skin with very little resistance. (You don’t want it to pierce 100% easily, as that means the squash will overcook and become mushy.) If there’s too much resistance, continue on 1 minute Space as needed.
Remove the spaghetti squash from the microwave and allow to cool 5 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise.
Remove the seeds with a spoon and chop with a fork into spaghetti-like strands.
Transfer the spaghetti squash noodles to a bowl. Add olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. Throw on coat.
The last step: leave a rating!
Share your recipe images via tags @wholesomeyum and add tags to it #wholesomeyum exist Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 cup
Servings will vary based on the size of the pumpkin.
Amount per serving. Serving sizes in recipe instructions above.
fat 5.4 grams
total carbohydrates 11.2 grams
net carbs 8.7 grams
sugar 4.5 grams
Nutritional facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you’re getting different results?Please check out our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes Social media or website. We’d love for you to share a link with a photo. 🙂