This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. (full disclosure)
Spice up Tuesday with crustless tacos!This is simple Tortilla Casserole The recipe brings together all the irresistible flavors of the classic taco, but presented in a casserole form.This is very similar to mine Low Carb Taco Casserole and Mexican Casserole, except this tortilla bake recipe adds add-ins like beans and corn to make it even more filling and satisfying.this is perfect healthy dinner Perfect for busy weeknights!
Why You’ll Love This Taco Casserole Recipe
- Traditional burrito flavors
- Texture layers
- Fresh and simple ingredients
- Quick prep, no hands-on cooking required
- Versatile and customizable
- Healthy and naturally gluten-free
- Perfect for weeknight dinners, crowd feeding, or meal prep
Ingredients and Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for your Taco Baking Casserole, what each ingredient does in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements see Recipe card below.
You can make this tortilla casserole recipe in many different ways. I’ll show you what I added to the simple version and the replacement options:
- olive oil – Used to sauté meat and vegetables in tortilla bakes. You can use avocado oil or any neutral cooking oil you like.
- Ground beef – I prefer 85/15 lean ground beef for this taco casserole recipe, but you can use any type you like. Feel free to swap out the protein and use ground turkey, Mexican sausageground chicken, or even Shredded chicken.
- Taco Seasoning – I like to do it myself Taco Seasoning, takes just 5 minutes and uses simple spices: paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. However, you can buy it from the store if you prefer. If your seasoning doesn’t add salt, you’ll need to add extra salt to the meat.
- bell pepper – I used red and orange bell peppers, but any color will work.You can also use other types of chili peppers such as poblano pepper Or even add some jalapenos for extra heat.
- beans – I chose black beansbut you can substitute pinto beans, kidney beans, or even lentils for a different flavor.
- corn – I used organic canned corn. You can also use frozen corn kernels instead.
- Salsa – freshly made Homemade Salsa It only takes 5 minutes for the best flavor, or use store-bought for convenience.you can swap in green sauce instead. Unpuréed salsa is not ideal here, but you can use pico de gallo, mango jamor Pineapple Salsa Use it for topping if you like.
- sour cream – You can use Greek yogurt, avocado cream, or a dairy-free alternative like coconut cream or cashew cream to get a similar creaminess and rich flavor.
- Mexican cheese blend – This shredded cheese blend pairs perfectly with Mexican flavors, but you can also use cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or any cheese you like.
Variation: Add onions!
I didn’t include them to minimize prep time, but you can add the chopped onions at the same time as the bell peppers. After adding the onions, the cooking time for this step may take longer.
There are no ingredients required to make tortilla casserole, but I think it would taste so much better if you added them! Feel free to use any combination of these you like:
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro – Bring freshness and color to your taco baking. If you don’t like it, you can omit it or use another fresh herb, such as parsley.
- lettuce – You can also use chopped cabbage as an ingredient.
- roma tomatoes – I topped this dish with diced roma tomatoes, but you could also use cherry tomatoes, vine-ripened tomatoes, or even more salsa.
- black olives – Top with sliced black olives for a salty, savory kick, or substitute sliced green olives, kalamata olives, or even pickled jalapeños for a unique twist.
- avocado – Top with creamy avocado slices, or use avocado.
How to Make Tortilla Casserole
This section shows how to make tacos, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique to help you visualize it.For full instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- Cook the beef. In a large skillet (I recommend a cast iron skillet), heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and brown. Drain excess grease.
- Add taco seasoning. Add taco seasoning and water. Cook until water evaporates.
- Add diced green peppers, black beans and corn. Stir and continue cooking until peppers are tender.
- Assemble the tortilla casserole. Spread a thin layer of salsa on the bottom Casserole. Add beef and vegetable mixture over salsa. Add a dollop of sour cream to the ground beef mixture and spread evenly. Pour remaining salsa evenly over sour cream.
- bake. Place the tortilla casserole in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and browned and the casserole is bubbly.
- Add ingredients. Sprinkle your choice of ingredients over grilled tacos before serving.
- Shop: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Meal Preparation: Prepare and assemble the tortilla casserole in a baking dish, cover tightly with foil or lid, and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bake when ready to serve. You can also portion out individual portions into meal prep containers for easy grab-and-go meals throughout the week.
- Reheat: Place individual portions in a microwave-safe dish and heat in 1-minute intervals, or place the entire casserole in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- freeze: You can freeze this tortilla before or after the oven step to bake. Cover the baking sheet tightly with plastic wrap (cool completely if already baked), then cover with foil and freeze for up to 3 months. You can reheat frozen in the oven, but it’s much faster if you defrost it in the refrigerator overnight. You can also freeze individual portions in ziploc bags or containers.
What to Serve with Taco Casserole
Taco casserole recipes are a perfect meal on their own, but they also make an easy side dish. Here are some ideas:
More Taco Style Recipes
No shells needed! If you enjoyed this Mexican casserole, here are some other quick and easy taco recipes to try next time:
Taco Casserole Recipe (Taco Bake)
Make an easy tacos for dinner! This taco casserole recipe is packed with delicious goodness from beef, black beans, salsa, and melted cheese.
Prepare: 10 Every minute
chef: 40 Every minute
All: 50 Every minute
Serving size: 6 (Adjust according to recipe proportion)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where you get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Click on the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
in a big frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.Add ground beef and cook until 8-10 minutes, separate it with a spatula until no longer pink. Drain excess grease.
Add taco seasoning and 3/4 cup water.Cook over high heat until the water evaporates, about 5 minutes.
Add diced green peppers, black beans, and corn to skillet.Stir and continue cooking 5 minutesuntil the peppers are soft.
Spread a thin layer of salsa on the bottom 9×13 inch baking pan. Add beef and vegetable mixture over salsa.
Add a few dollops of sour cream to the beef and spread evenly.
Pour remaining salsa evenly over sour cream. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
Grilled Tortilla Casserole 20-25 minutesuntil cheese is melted and bubbly.
The last step: leave a rating!
Share your recipe images via tags @wholesomeyum and add tags to it #wholesomeyum exist Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Nutritional information does not include optional ingredients.
Amount per serving. Serving sizes in recipe instructions above.
fat 34.4 grams
protein 39.6 grams
total carbohydrates 38.3 grams
net carbs 28.3 grams
fiber 10 grams
sugar 11.1 grams
Nutritional facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you’re getting different results?Please check out our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes Social media or website. We’d love for you to share a link with a photo. 🙂