This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (full disclosure)
this Oven Baked Salmon Recipe It has been a staple in our house for many years. fried salmon is the best way to get a crispy crust, but you’ll want to know how to cook salmon in the oven for when you want to be hands-off.like baked cod, Striped bassand rainbow trouta quick and easy fish recipe that comes out tender and crispy with loads of flavor.
This easy grilled salmon is a basic way to cook this fish and is perfect for beginners. Grilled salmon is not only easy, but made with simple ingredients – and it’s downright delicious. It also doesn’t need any seasoning.
Why You’ll Love This Oven Baked Salmon Recipe
- Lemon, olive oil, dill, and parsley deliver bright, fresh flavors
- Soft, flaky salmon texture
- Just 6 Simple Ingredients
- Ready in just 5 minutes and ready in 15 minutes!
- fast and convenient healthy dinner
Ingredients and Substitutes
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for your grilled salmon recipe, what each ingredient does, and substitution options.For measurements, see recipe card below.
Healthy grilled salmon recipes will work with just about any salmon you buy, but if you want the best grilled salmon, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Salmon Varieties: King, coho, or pink salmon are the best varieties for baking, but sockeye is also delicious. Atlantic salmon is always farmed so I usually don’t eat it.Learn more about my different breeds fried salmon postal.
- With and without skin: Pair of salmon with skin on fried salmon, but not so much when you’re grilling salmon. I still find that skin on salmon gives you the best flavor, so go for it if you can, but skin on is fine too. If you buy salmon with the skin on, use a knife to remove scales, if any.
- thickness: For seared salmon, the thickness of the salmon doesn’t really matter, just remember it will affect the cooking time. I try to buy salmon that is one inch thick and even in thickness so that it cooks evenly.
- appearance: Look for firm, pink-orange fresh fish, although the exact color will vary by species.
- Whole fillets vs individual fillets: You can grill whole salmon fillets or individual salmon fillets, but I think individual fillets are the best way to cook salmon in the oven because they cook more evenly. You can also use the same baked salmon recipe for larger fillets, but it will need to be grilled on a sheet pan and will take longer.
Grilled Salmon Seasoning:
- olive oil – The oil ensures that the fish stays moist and tasty. You can also use avocado oil, or even melted butter.
- lemon juice – use fresh lemon juice for the best flavor, or bottled For convenience.
- garlic – Crushed or chopped. If you prefer crushed, you can use fresh garlic cloves, or for minced garlic, you can mince it fresh or use the canned kind. If you don’t have garlic on hand, you can substitute 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- fresh herbs – I use fresh dill and fresh parsley for this baked salmon recipe, but thyme would be nice too. Dried herbs are not recommended, but if you really want to use them in a pinch, use 1/3 the amount of fresh herbs.
- sea salt and black pepper
- Lemon slices – Optional, but adds nice flavor and appearance.
How to Cook Salmon in the Oven
This section shows how to cook salmon in the oven, with step-by-step photos and technical details to help you visualize the cooking.For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see recipe card below.
- Mix the marinade. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, Garlic And Fresh Herbs. We won’t actually be marinating it for this baked salmon recipe, but just brush it on and bake right away. (Alternatively, you can have my other Salmon Marinade Recipe Instead pickle it. )
- Seasoned salmon. put the fish in a bakeware (or on a rimmed baking sheet) with space between fillets. Pat salmon dry with paper towels. Brush both sides with the olive oil mixture (you can also just drizzle it, but brushing will coat the fish more evenly). Season with sea salt and black pepper, and top with lemon slices, if using.
- Grilled salmon. Cook the salmon in the oven until it flakes easily with a fork. (For best results, see ideal internal temperature below.) Top with more fresh herbs if desired.
How long to bake salmon?
Salmon baking time depends on the thickness of the salmon, but a good estimate is 10-15 minutes at 400°F。 This is the best salmon oven temperature because it’s high enough to cook the fish quickly without drying it out, yet low enough to prevent burning.
For the perfect baked salmon recipe, you need to use Instant Read Thermometer Insert the thickest part of the salmon instead of simply testing the fish for flakes with a fork. Here’s a temperature guide to give you an idea of when it’s done to your liking:
|120-125 degrees F (48-52 degrees C)
|140-145 degrees F (60-63 degrees C)
Tips for the Best Grilled Salmon Recipe
- If you have time, let the salmon fillets come to room temperature. Just let them sit on the counter for 30 minutes before cooking. This will help them cook more evenly.
- Pat dry before seasoning. This helps lock in moisture during cooking.
- If your salmon has skin, make sure it is skin side down. You’ll brush both sides with the mixture, but bake with the skin against the baking sheet.
- Do not overcook. The key to moist, flaky salmon is the correct cooking time. An internal temperature of 135 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal.
Can You Grill Frozen Salmon?
Yes, you can bake frozen salmon! Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes, then uncover and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes. Total cooking time is 20-25 minutes.
- shop: Store any leftovers from this easy oven-baked salmon recipe in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Meal Prep: Mix the olive oil mixture ahead of time and bake the day, or bake the salmon in the oven, then portion out into individual containers and reheat later.
- Reheat: reheat Salmon in the Air Fryer is my favorite way to avoid drying out (about 3 minutes at 325 degrees F), but you can also use the oven. Place salmon in a baking dish, cover tightly with foil, and reheat in a 325°F oven until warm. It’s also delicious chilled or at room temperature. Microwaving fish is not recommended, but can be done in a pinch.
- freeze: You can wrap grilled salmon fillets in plastic wrap and store in freezer bags or airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
What to Serve with Baked Salmon Recipe
This easy baked salmon recipe pairs perfectly with simple side dishes such as:
- vegetable – try Grilled Asparagus (the most classic collocation), mung bean amygdalin (pictured above!), Roasted Kale, Zucchini Noodlesor Roasted Broccoli.
- salad – Grilled salmon works well with a fresh salad, such as Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salad, Caprese Salador Mediterranean Quinoa Salad.
- rice – white rice, brown rice or Cauliflower Fried Rice.
- Potato – For a heartier meal, add baked potatoes arrive Roasted sweet potato to your baked salmon recipes and vegetable side dishes.or make Instant Pot Baked Potatoes When cooking salmon in the oven.
Healthier Salmon Recipes
If you liked this grilled salmon recipe, you’ll love these other ways to cook this fish:
Oven Baked Salmon Recipe (Easy and Crunchy!)
Learn how to cook salmon to perfection in the oven! This easy oven-baked salmon recipe is fresh, delicious, healthy, and ready in 15 minutes.
Prepare: 5 minute
chef: 10 minute
all: 15 minute
Serving Size: 4 (adjust according to recipe)
Click on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE COOKING CHANNEL Healthy Recipes of the Week! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Click a time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dill, and parsley.
Arrange the salmon fillets stoneware bakeware, with spaces between them. Pat them dry with paper towels.
Brush salmon fillets on both sides with olive oil mixture. Season both sides with sea salt and black pepper. If desired, top each salmon with a thin slice of lemon.
bake 10-15 minutesuntil the salmon is at your desired internal temperature: 120-125°F (48-52°C) for medium rare, 130°F (54°C) for medium, 135°F (57°C) for medium rare, Or 140-145 degrees Fahrenheit (60-63 degrees Celsius) for well done.
Serving Size: 1 salmon fillet
Amount per serving. Serving sizes in recipe instructions above.
fat 24.3 grams
protein 33.9 grams
total carbohydrates 0.9 grams
net carbs 0.8 grams
sugar 0.2 grams
Nutrition facts are provided politely. Questions about calculations or why are you getting different results?Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste the recipe to social media or websites. We would love for you to share a link with a photo. 🙂