This post may contain affiliate links to help keep this content free. (full disclosure)
this easy Pan-Fried Halibut Recipe Adding Lemon Butter Sauce will tell you How to Cook Halibut Perfect every time!like Grilled Chilean Sea Bassthis pan-fried halibut can be served as a special meal at a fancy restaurant — but it’s surprisingly quick and easy to make.
Cooking halibut this way tastes decadent thanks to the halibut’s buttery lemon sauce, but it’s also healthy!If you have any hesitation fish, Halibut Recipe (Like this one) tastes mild and might make you a fan. Try an easy dinner to impress.
Why You’ll Love This Pan-Fried Halibut Recipe
- Tender, flaky white fish texture
- Lemony, Creamy
- easy to make
- Done in just 20 minutes
- A great dish for a special occasion, but simple enough for a weeknight
Ingredients and Substitutes
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for cooking halibut, the role of each ingredient in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements, see Recipe card below.
- flounder – Take four 6-ounce halibut fillets, or a large 1.5-pound fillet, which can be cut into four smaller fillets. You can get it with or without the skin. (If you have one with the skin on, cook the skin-side down first.)
- spices – Garlic powder, chili powder, sea salt and black pepper.
- Oil – I use olive oil, but any heat-resistant oil, such as avocado oil, will work too.
Lemony Butter Sauce:
- butter – I used salted butter, but you can also use unsalted, salted to taste.
- lemon juice – For the best flavor, I highly recommend using fresh lemon juice instead of bottled lemons.
How to Cook Halibut in a Pan
This section shows how to make the best baked halibut recipe, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique to help you visualize it.For complete instructions, including quantities and temperatures, see Recipe card below.
- dry. Pat the halibut fillets dry with paper towels. This will ensure even browning, so don’t skip this step!
- season. Sprinkle both sides of the fish liberally with garlic powder, chili powder, sea salt and black pepper.
- Grilled Halibut Fillets. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Place fish in a single layer and bake for 3-4 minutes without moving. Flip carefully and bake for an additional 2-4 minutes, until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
Tip: Avoid moving the fish!
Keeping it in one place prevents tearing and helps it get a nice brown burn.
How to Make Sauce for Halibut
Once your fried halibut is done cooking, it’s time to make the lemon butter sauce! You can simply remove the fish, cover to keep warm, and reuse the same pot:
- brown butter. Turn the pan to medium-low and add the butter. Once it’s melted, cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2-3 minutes, until the butter is browned, bubbly, and smells nutty.
- add lemon juice. Use the Zulay Kitchen lemon squeezer to squeeze all the juice from the lemon halves into the pot. Simmer for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until reduced in volume by half.
TIP: Put halved lemons in a squeezer with the opening facing down, and squeeze!
You can open and close it multiple times to get it all out.
- Serve Your Pan Roasted Halibut with Lemon Butter Sauce. Drizzle a little halibut sauce on the plate, top with the fish, then drizzle more sauce on top. I like to garnish with a little fresh parsley, but this is optional.
How long does it take to cook halibut in a pan?
Frying halibut takes approx. 5-9 minutes Cook, depending on the size of your fillets and how hot your pan is. A good starting point is to cook on the first side for 3-4 minutes, undisturbed. Carefully flip it over and cook another 2-4 minutes, until cooked through.
Tip: There are some easy ways to tell when a halibut is done…
- The first side is done when you see the edges are opaque, brown underneath.
- Lemon butter halibut is done when the entire fillet is opaque and easily peeled with a fork.
- if you have a meat thermometeruse it to cook flounder perfectly: the ideal internal temperature for the fish is 135-140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Shop: For best results, serve this pan-roasted halibut with a lemon butter sauce just before you plan to serve it. It only takes 10 minutes to cook, so it’s easy and quick to make! Fish can get a little springy when reheated and can easily overcook, so I always recommend keeping it fresh. However, if you do have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Gently heat halibut in a hot skillet over medium heat or in a 350°F oven. Be careful not to overcook.
- freeze: You can freeze raw halibut for up to 3 months, but I do not recommend freezing cooked halibut for recipes.
what to serve with grilled halibut
This grilled halibut recipe is versatile, so it can go in many different directions. I already have them!try these types healthy side dishes:
- vegetable – Made with your oven Roasted Asparagus, green beans, whole roasted caulifloweror Roasted Zucchini When you fry the halibut on the stove.
- starch – Potatoes, pasta or rice are classic choices, but you can also opt for healthier vegetable alternatives such as Roasted Kohlrabi, Zucchini Noodlesor Cauliflower Fried Rice.
- salad – try Creamy Cucumber Salad, Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salador Caprese Salad.
easier fish recipes to try
If you love fish, try these other easy fish recipes:
Pan-Fried Halibut with Lemon Sauce
Learn how to cook crispy and tender halibut! This easy pan-fried halibut with lemon butter sauce takes just 20 minutes.
Prepare: 5 minute
chef: 10 minute
All: 15 minute
Serving Size: 4 (Adjust the scale recipe)
Click on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel Get healthy recipes every week! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Tap the time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while cooking.
Pat the halibut fillets completely dry with paper towels – this will ensure even browning. Season the fish on both sides with garlic powder, paprika, sea salt and black pepper. shelved.
heat the olive oil large frying pan too high temperature 2 minutes.
Add the fillets in a single layer (you can add them in batches if all the fish won’t fit in a single layer).hot, immobile, for 3-4 minutes, until the edges of the fish are opaque.flip and cook 2-4 minutesuntil cooked.
Take the fish out of the pot and cover it tightly defeat Keep warm.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the butter to the same pan.wait for it to melt, then heat 2-3 minutesstirring occasionally, until the butter is browned and smells nutty.
Tip: If you like garlic, you can also use This Lemony Butter Sauce Recipe.
Use the Zulay Kitchen lemon squeezer to squeeze all the juice from the lemon halves into the pot.Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and simmer for approx. 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the volume is reduced by half. The lemon butter sauce was still thin.
Drizzle a little lemon butter sauce on each plate. Place the seared halibut fillets on top of the sauce, then drizzle more sauce on top.
Serving Size: 1 halibut fillet + 2 tablespoons lemon butter sauce
Amount per serving. Serving Sizes in Recipe Instructions Above.
fat 35 grams
protein 47 grams
total carbohydrates 3g
net carbs 2 grams
fiber 1 g
sugar 1 g
Nutrition Facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about the calculation or why you get different results?see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste recipes to social media or websites. We want you to share the link with the photo. 🙂