Topped with rich cream cheese frosting, these moist Pumpkin Cupcakes It’s the perfect fall dessert with a hint of vanilla. Ready in 35 minutes, its warm cinnamon spice and light, airy texture will have you baking batch after batch.
The Best Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
These moist pumpkin spice cupcakes have a soft, spongy base and will become your new favorite treat once the leaves start falling off. Filled with creamy pumpkin puree and sweet applesauce, this is a 35-minute baking project you’re sure to love.
These fluffy cupcakes have the caramel flavor of brown sugar and the lovely aroma of vanilla extract, dusted with cinnamon for a warm, comforting flavor. For extra fall spiciness, don’t forget to add plenty of earthy pumpkin spice! Their light and airy texture is also highly addictive, so get ready to eat one after another.
Decorated with a generous helping of luscious cream cheese frosting, every bite is a dreamy flavor combination of pumpkin goodness and rich frosting. Whether you enjoy them in the afternoon or serve them to your next party, good luck with any leftovers.
Why You’ll Love These Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
Once you try these sweet cupcakes, you’ll understand the whole “pumpkin craze.”
- Perfect for fall. pumpkin is this The flavors of fall, so I made sure to include pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice in this recipe.
- simple. In just 35 minutes, the cupcakes and frosting are done.
- Great for parties. Cupcakes are easier to serve because people can grab as many as they want.
- Fluffy. The batter contains baking soda and baking powder to create the fluffiest cupcakes ever.
what do you need
It wouldn’t be pumpkin spice cupcakes without pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, and lots of cinnamon. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact quantities.
- Pumpkin Puree – Try to find ones that are low in sodium.
- unsweetened applesauce – I prefer organic, but use what you like best.
- Vanilla extract – It rounds out the flavor.
- Egg – Big egg
- brown sugar– Feel free to use light or dark brown sugar.
- White sugar – You can swap it out for light brown sugar.
- All Purpose Flour – Please do not use whole wheat flour.
- cinnamon powder – just for a little cinnamon flavor.
- pumpkin pie spice – This is usually a seasonal product in the spice or baking aisle.
- baking powder and baking soda – Helps your cupcakes get nice and fluffy.
- Salt – Use regular kosher salt.
For the frosting
- cream cheese – Full fat or low fat works here.
- Original Greek Yogurt—— Try using unsweetened yogurt.
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar—— This is also called confectioner’s sugar.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
These are standard cupcake instructions: mix wet ingredients, add dry ingredients, and bake. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
- Mix wet ingredients. Preheat oven to 350F. Place pumpkin puree, brown sugar, white sugar, applesauce, vanilla extract and eggs in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients. Gently stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice. Mix well.
- bake. Pour batter into lined muffin tins. Each cavity should be filled for 3/4 seconds. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove them from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Make the frosting. Place cream cheese, yogurt, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl and beat until smooth.
- Serve. Spread cupcakes with frosting and serve.
Tips for success
The secret to any fluffy cupcake recipe is not to overmix the batter.
- Do not over mix. After adding the flour, simply stir the batter until combined. If overmixed, they will become rubbery and dense instead of light and fluffy.
- Use room temperature ingredients. Cold ingredients are harder to mix, will affect the temperature of the batter, and will also increase baking time. Always use room temperature ingredients when making cupcakes.
- Don’t overfill. Adding more batter to each muffin liner means they will rise and overflow…making a pumpkin spice mess. Hold at 3/4 seconds for best results.
- Check the date. Read the expiry date on the baking powder before adding it. If it’s expired, your cupcakes won’t rise as much.
- Let them calm down. Never frost cupcakes that are slightly warm or the frosting will melt immediately. They must be completely cooled.
- prepare in advance. Make the frosting ahead of time and transfer to an airtight container or large piping bag until ready to use.
These pumpkin spice cupcakes are perfect with a tall glass of milk, a cup of tea, or your favorite coffee.I love them with my love Sweet Cream Iced Coffee, Coconut Milk Thai Iced Coffeeand Iced milk tea latte.mine Cranberry Hot Apple Juice is another fall favorite. For a more decadent treat, you can also drizzle the cupcakes with salted caramel sauce.
How to store leftovers
Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 7 days. Keep them away from strong-smelling foods like onions to avoid odor transfer. Let the cupcakes sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes to come to room temperature before serving. Do not leave them at room temperature as the cream cheese frosting will go bad.
Can I freeze these pumpkin spice cupcakes?
Yes, but freeze them without the frosting. Wait until the cupcakes are completely cool, then place them on a baking sheet. Freeze for 2-3 hours, then wrap individually in plastic wrap. Transfer them to freezer-friendly bags. Freeze for up to 3 months. Leave them on the counter for 30 minutes to defrost, then frost as normal.
More Pumpkin Desserts
These pumpkin spice cupcakes with cinnamon and healthy cream cheese frosting are the perfect 35-minute fall treat.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, use a spatula to combine pumpkin puree, brown sugar, white sugar, applesauce, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- Slowly add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix together until everything is completely combined.
- Pour batter into cupcake-lined muffin tins 3/4 full and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until toothpick test comes through. When done remove the cupcakes from the oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, Greek yogurt, vanilla, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Using an electric hand mixer, beat until mixture is smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Frost the tops of the cupcakes. Serve and enjoy!
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Keywords: Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes, Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting