Sunday, May 24, 2026

The police are under “extreme pressure” due to a large number of missing persons reports

Meter

More than 36,000 missing persons reports London A senior police officer said that last year the issue was “large in scale” and put tremendous pressure on police resources.

After some high-profile cases recently occurred, the Metropolitan Police’s handling of its investigation of missing persons has been reviewed, and people questioned why some cases seem to receive more attention than others, and whether discrimination is a factor.

Superintendent Rob Shepherd, who is in charge of missing persons, said the force is conducting research with British charities Missing persons Whether there are conscious or subconscious biases, especially biases based on race or religion, will influence decision-making.

Is investigating whether race was a factor in Richard Okorogheye’s handling of the case / Amplifier line

Efforts are also being made to reduce the volume of calls entering the control center, which may cause “delays” in the early stages of the investigation.

Mr. Shepard said: “We have the same process and risk assessment for every person reported missing.

“The proportion of Afro-Caribbeans reporting missing is much higher than that of the London population. Unfortunately, this is mainly due to socio-economic reasons and we cannot control what is reported to us.

children Accounted for 64% of missing persons cases, the largest proportion of reports came from nursing homes and mental health facilities in the city, with too many people from the Afro-Caribbean community.

“I believe the work we are doing will determine if there is any disproportion or discrimination, although I hope it will not happen, and then we can work hard to improve.

“The individual police officers who have been complained will still be investigated by the IOPC (Independent Office of Police Conduct).”

Due to some high-profile missing persons cases such as Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman, the Metropolitan Police has been receiving attention / PA media

The families of Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman are both taking legal action against the police because they believe the two women failed to take action when they disappeared in June 2020.



Source link

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img