Thursday, May 21, 2026

The Sudanese military restores the expelled Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok after reaching an agreement


SudanThe military and civilian leaders reached an agreement to restore the prime minister Abdalla Hamdok, who was deposed in the coup last month.

According to the agreement signed on Sunday, the military will also release government officials and politicians arrested since the October 25 coup.

read more:

Sudanese security forces disperse anti-coup protesters, three dead and many injured

The country’s supreme general, Abdul Fatah Burhan, said in a televised speech that Hamdok will lead an independent cabinet of technocrats until elections can be held.

It is not clear how much power the government will have. It will still be under military supervision.

More than two years after the popular uprising forced the long-time dictator Omar al-Bashir and his Islamic government to step down, the coup has drawn international criticism.

The story continues below the ad


Click to play the video:



Protest in Sudan: Demonstrators take to the streets after the military seizes power


Protest in Sudan: Demonstrators take to the streets after the military seizes power – October 27, 2021

Since the military takeover, Sudanese have been taking to the streets, which upended the country’s fragile transition to democracy. A few days ago, the doctor said that at least 15 people were killed by live ammunition during the anti-coup demonstration. The agreement was reached a few days ago.

For several weeks, Hamdock has been under house arrest by military leaders.

read more:

Who is Abdel-Fattah Burhan, the military strongman behind the Sudanese coup?

Earlier, military and government officials who talked about the deal said that it also expected government officials and politicians arrested since the October 25 coup to be released. The Ummah Party, the largest party allegedly included in the deal, issued a statement implying that it did not sign the deal.

The story continues below the ad

Officials who requested anonymity because they did not have the right to release information said the United Nations, the United States and other countries played a “key role” in drawing up the agreement.

The United States, its allies, and the United Nations condemned the excessive use of force against anti-coup protesters.

At the same time, thousands of people took to the streets of the capital Khartoum on Sunday, condemning the coup and demanding the immediate transfer of power to civilians. The protesters waved the Sudanese flag and chanted “Power belongs to the people! The army will stay in the barracks.”

Associated Press writer Noha El Hennaway made contributions in Cairo.

© 2021 Canadian Media





Source link

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img