- The United Nations warned of an increase in the number of civilian deaths in Afghanistan.
- As the United States gradually reduces its military activities, the Taliban are making progress across the country.
- The United Nations stated that 1,659 civilians were killed in the first half of 2021.
The United Nations warned on Monday that if the Taliban’s nationwide offensive does not stop, the number of civilian deaths in Afghanistan may be the highest in more than a decade.
Since the insurgents stepped up their actions in early May to cope with the final withdrawal of foreign troops headed by the United States, there has been a surge of violence.
Read | George W. Bush warns of the “bad” outcome of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan
In a report released on Monday that recorded civilian casualties in the first half of 2021, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) stated that this number is expected to reach the highest single year since the mission began reporting more than a decade ago. Level.
It also warned that the Afghan army and pro-government forces should be responsible for a quarter of all civilian casualties.
The head of UNAMA, Deborah Lyons, said in a statement released with the report: “If the increasing violence is not stopped, an unprecedented number of Afghan civilians will be killed and caused this year. Disabled.”
“I urge the Taliban and Afghan leaders to pay attention to the severity and chilling trajectory of the conflict and its devastating impact on civilians.”
‘Shocking’
The UNAMA report stated that in the first half of 2021, approximately 1,659 civilians were killed and another 3,254 were injured, an increase of 47% over the same period last year.
It added that in May and June (the beginning of the Taliban’s current offensive), the increase in civilian casualties was particularly pronounced, with 783 civilians killed and 1,609 injured.
The report said: “It is particularly shocking and deeply concerned that women, boys and girls account for nearly half of all civilian casualties.”
UNAMA blamed anti-government elements for 64% of civilian casualties—about 40% were caused by the Taliban and nearly 9% were caused by Islamic Jihad.
Approximately 16% of casualties were caused by “undetermined” anti-government elements.
But it said that the Afghan army and pro-government forces accounted for 25%.
UNAMA stated that about 11% of the casualties were caused by “crossfire” and the responsible party could not be determined.
The Taliban’s continued attacks enabled the insurgents to occupy half of Afghanistan’s areas and border crossings, and surrounded several provincial capitals.
The fighting mainly took place in rugged villages, where government forces and insurgents clash every day.
UNAMA also noticed the resurgence of sectarian attacks against the Shia Hazara community in the country, resulting in 143 deaths.
Don’t miss a story. Choose from our newsletter Send the news you want directly to your inbox.



