Worried about the safety of Chinese tennis players Peng Shuai Dick Pond, a senior member of the International Olympic Committee, told Reuters that as the International Olympic Committee gradually becomes a global cause, the International Olympic Committee may be forced to take a tough stance against the host of the 2022 Beijing Olympics.
Peng, the former number one in doubles in the world, said on Chinese social media on November 2 that former Deputy Prime Minister Zhang Gaoli coerced her into having sex, and they had intermittent consent.
After e-mails aroused suspicion, concerns about the missing Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai intensified
This is the global outcry against Peng’s safety and whereabouts. Pound said that this situation may force the International Olympic Committee to confront China over China’s human rights record.
Although anger is unlikely to prevent the continuation of the Beijing Winter Olympics in February, Pound will not completely rule out this possibility.
Pound, the longest-serving member of the International Olympic Committee, told Reuters: “If this problem is not resolved in a wise manner as soon as possible, it may get out of control.” “It may (forcing the IOC to take a tougher stance).
“Whether this will escalate to the cessation of the Olympics, I doubt it. But you never know.”
Neither Zhang nor the Chinese government commented on Peng’s allegations. The 35-year-old tennis player’s social media post was quickly deleted, and the topic was also banned from discussion on the heavily censored Internet in China.
The Women’s Tennis Administration (WTA) has called for an investigation and threatened to withdraw tens of millions of dollars worth of events from China.
Although Peng is a three-time Olympian, the International Olympic Committee has not expressed its willingness to take a similar position and risked billions of dollars in television broadcasting rights and sponsorship.
“I don’t know if we have been there, but I am sure they (the International Olympic Committee Executive Committee) are paying attention to this matter to see where it will go,” said Canadian lawyer and former Olympian Pound.
“To take action against one of their citizens lodged a complaint against one of their superiors-this is more difficult for them (China) than the usual’this is a domestic affair, now lost’.”
So far, the International Olympic Committee has declined to comment on Peng’s issue, saying it believes that “quiet diplomacy” is the best opportunity to solve the problem.
Pound admitted that China did not respond well to threats, and negotiations with sports and government officials required nuance.
When asked if the IOC might request a meeting with Peng, Pound said: “This is a bit stronger than the usual route taken by the IOC.”
“In the past we have had some changes in our attitudes, we said,’Listen to this all in front of the public, how will we respond. We can’t ignore it.
“In the past, this has generated some movement.
“My guess is that it will be that kind of line, instead of poking them in the chest and saying,’Do this or the world will end.’
“If you are Chinese, you can say,’Well, this will be disappointing (to lose the Olympics), but for the rest of the world, it will be more disappointing than for us.'”



