Saturday, May 23, 2026

As the Tigray army progresses, Ethiopia declares a state of emergency – EURACTIV.com


Ethiopia declared a six-month state of emergency on Tuesday (November 2). This prerequisite was that troops in the northern region of Gray stated that they were seizing territory and considering marching to the capital Addis Ababa.

Two days ago, Prime Minister Abi Ahmed urged citizens to take up arms to defend themselves against the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF).

Earlier on Tuesday, the Addis Ababa authorities told residents to register their weapons and prepare to defend their communities.

The state of emergency took effect immediately after TPLF claimed that it had occupied several towns in recent days and indicated that it might enter Addis Ababa, about 380 kilometers south of its forward position.

“Our country’s survival, sovereignty and unity are facing serious threats. We cannot eliminate this danger through the usual law enforcement systems and procedures,” Attorney General Gedion Timothewos said at a national media briefing.

He said that anyone who violates the state of emergency will face 3 to 10 years in prison for providing financial, material or moral support to a “terrorist organization.”

Ethiopia last implemented such a measure in February 2018, six months before the transfer of power to Abiy. The curfew was enforced, people’s movements were restricted, and thousands were detained.

The Addis Ababa city government stated that people should register their weapons and gather in their communities. A statement said that house-to-house searches are being conducted and the troublemaker has been arrested.

“Residents can gather in their place and protect their surroundings. Those who have weapons but cannot participate in protecting the surroundings are advised to hand the weapons to the government or their close relatives or friends.”

Before the announcement, people were walking around the capital as usual.

“I will try to buy food products in advance. But so far, I haven’t bought anything,” said a woman who asked not to be named.

The governments of four out of 10 Ethiopian regions also called on Ethiopians to mobilize against the Tigray army, the state-affiliated Fana TV said.

Clashes with Western allies, once considered stable in turbulent regions, have famineed about 400,000 people in Tigray, killed thousands of civilians, and forced more than 2.5 million people in the north to flee their homes.

It broke out on the night of November 3, 2020, when troops loyal to the TPLF (including some soldiers) occupied the military base in Tigray in the northern region. In response, Abiy sent more troops there.

TPLF has dominated Ethiopian politics for nearly three decades, but after years of anti-government protests, Abi lost a lot of influence when he took office in 2018.

After they accused him of concentrating power at the expense of countries in the Ethiopian region, relations with TPLF deteriorated-Abi denied this accusation.

The town is occupied

TPLF spokesperson Getachew Reda stated that if the Tigray army and its allies succeed in overthrowing the government, they will establish a provisional government. “If the government collapses, we will definitely have temporary arrangements.”

He said that a national dialogue still needs to be held, but Abi and his ministers will not be required to participate.

“They will spend their day in court,” he said.

In recent days, TPLF claimed to have captured Dessie, Kombolcha and Burka in the Amhara region.

A government spokesperson disputed the arrest of Dessie and Kombolcha, but later issued a statement stating that TPLF “infiltrators” had killed 100 youths in Kombolcha.

On Tuesday, spokespersons for the government, the military and the Amhara region did not respond to calls seeking further comment.

On Monday night, the Tigrean troops stated that they had connected with fighters from the Oromo troops, which also fought against the central government. The Oromo is the largest ethnic group in Ethiopia. Many of their political leaders are currently in prison.

United Nations spokesperson Stephane Dujarric (Stephane Dujarric) said that United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres is “extremely concerned” about the latest developments in Ethiopia. “The stability of Ethiopia and the wider region is at risk,” Dujarik said.

U.S. Police

The US special envoy for the Horn of Africa said on Tuesday that Washington was alarmed by the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the north, including signs of famine, and urged all parties to find ways to ease the situation and allow aid to enter.

Also on Tuesday, the administration of US President Joe Biden accused Ethiopia of “serious violations of internationally recognized human rights” and said it plans to remove the country from the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) trade agreement , The agreement allows it to enter the United States tax-free.

The Ethiopian Ministry of Trade said it was “extremely disappointed” with the US’s actions and called for a reversal before January.

“The Ethiopian government takes all human rights allegations seriously: we are reviewing and investigating, and we are committed to ensuring accountability,” it said.





Source link

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img