As the leaves change and the air becomes crisper, there’s no better time to plan a getaway than the vibrant fall season. Vermont’s Mad River Valley is one of the most beautiful summer destinations in the fall. Nestled among the green mountains, this charming region offers the perfect blend of natural beauty, outdoor adventure, and small-town charm.
We had the pleasure of spending a few days in the Mad Valley (especially warren and waitsfield). We also went to Waterbury! It’s an easy trip from Woodstock (just over an hour) and a scenic drive along Vermont Route 100 with incredible views. In this fall vacation guide, you’ll find some of the best activities, places to stay, and local eats that make the Mad River Valley an ideal fall destination.
where to live
madbushi falls iWe were lucky enough to stay at a brand new hotel in Waitsfield during our trip.They have a 20 room cabin and 75 seats Dining room. They also have a bike and ski shop and offer rental, coaching and instruction services.
Behind the property is a 30-foot waterfall and swimming hole, and there is an extensive network of local singletrack mountain biking trails right outside the door. Craig is in heaven!
We stayed in an apartment suite and the adjoining room had bunk beds for an additional 6 people. The apartment is located on the second floor with stunning views from every room, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a fully equipped kitchen. This made for a great stay! We can also have dinner at the restaurant inside the hotel Our first night and couldn’t imagine how great it was! From roasted cauliflower and cornbread appetizers to maple syrup, steak and roast lamb. Everything is incredible and they have a kid-friendly menu!
what to do
- Fall Foliage Tour: There are many beautiful places to view the red leaves in the fall. Drive around Warren and Waitsfield. There are also many local hiking tours.
- Bundy Modern: Art gallery and museum, conveniently located next to Madbush Falls.
- Chaoxia Farm Stall
- von Trapp Farmstead: A walk along Common Road is also a great option.
- Local Mountain Biking – There are plenty of bike rentals at Madbush Falls and the on-site staff will be very helpful if you need guidance, guidance or advice on riding routes in the area. They also have a great inventory of gear.
- Mad River Food Court: Incredible cheese selection and tons of cheese tastings and tons of locally sourced items.
- Mad River Green Shopping Center: If you have kids, check out The Collection!
- warren store: Community center offering coffee, sandwiches, freshly baked bread, homemade pies, gifts and more.
where to eat
- Don’t miss dinner (or weekend brunch) madbushi falls. Seriously, the food is locally sourced and absolutely delicious. I want to go back just to eat there again.
- Canteen Creemee Company: Fried foods and delicious creemee.
- Crazy Tacos: Great Mexican Food!
- Lawson’s Brewery: Great beer selection, beautiful views, and a delicious lunch menu.
From Woodstock, there are several ways to reach Mad River Valley. As we headed north, we took Vermont Route 12 the entire way. It was beautiful, scenic, a little windy at times, and very steep at the end. On the way back, we took Route 100 and the scenery was very beautiful. The foliage is stunning and there are some incredible sights along the way including waterfalls and parks. You can’t go wrong no matter what!
A fall vacation to the Mad River Valley is sure to be an unforgettable experience filled with vibrant foliage, outdoor adventure, local flavor and small-town charm. Whether you’re an outdoor enthusiast, art lover or foodie, this picturesque area has something for everyone. Plan a vacation to the Mad River Valley to savor the beauty of New England’s fall.
Disclosure: If you purchase something through links on this blog, we may earn an affiliate commission. We only recommend products that we personally recommend. thank you for your support.