Saturday, May 23, 2026

DUP’s angry response to the Northern Ireland Agreement | Northern Ireland


The government withdraws from its hardline stance in negotiations with the EU on the Brexit arrangement Northern Ireland It drew an angry response from the most senior union members in the House of Lords.

Lord Dodd, the former deputy leader of the Democratic Unity Party, has issued an implicit threat of “action” unless it resumes the option of using the Article 16 procedure to cancel the Northern Ireland Agreement.

“With the implementation of the agreement, every day is a day when Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom are further separated. This is unsustainable.

He said in a statement: “If the British government cannot or will not take action, then unionism will and will take action soon.”

He was responding to the Gave up the request Remove the role of the European Court of Justice from the Northern Ireland Protocol.

Downing Street admits This week, it will give priority to removing trade barriers between Britain and Northern Ireland, rather than other constitutional issues that have plagued negotiations. The talks will be suspended until after Christmas.

A government source said that they will seek “temporary” solutions for customs and physical food inspections, which have proven to be obstacles to domestic trade and have caused 200 companies to stop shipping to Northern Ireland.

The change in strategy angered Dodds and others, including Lady Hoey, who was Strive to delete the agreement Through the courts of Belfast.

Dodds said that it is now “very clear” that “the negotiation of the agreement is being delayed, and the possibility that the result will meet the standard is very small.” Brexit Minister Lord Frost’s July order document put forward Britain’s request for a complete rewrite of the protocol.

He accused the United Kingdom of “compliance” with the EU’s timetable and “betrayed its commitment to trigger Article 16”, even though the Prime Minister himself declared that the “conditions for doing so” “have already been met”.

He also stated that Lord Frost has withdrawn from his earlier negotiating position, that is, all barriers to the supply of medicines from the United Kingdom to Northern Ireland should be eliminated.

He did not specify what “action” he meant to take, but DUP had previously warned that if the negotiations did not make enough progress by November, it would withdraw from Stormont executives.

In a more nuanced statement issued on Saturday morning, Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, the head of the Democratic Unionist Party, stated that the party has been “maintaining patience while the negotiations continue.”

However, “in the case that the EU is unwilling to agree to the removal of completely unnecessary trade barriers in the Irish Sea, the government must take decisive action at the beginning of the year to restore Northern Ireland’s status in the UK.”

In the past two weeks, the United Kingdom has waived the requirement to remove the European Supreme Court from the Protocol, and accepted an option acceptable to the European Court of Justice if the dispute cannot be resolved through a political or arbitration panel.

Earlier this week, Dodds Tell the House of Lords “Due to the Northern Ireland Agreement, the delicate balance of relations between these islands has been disrupted”



Source link

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img