Tuesday, June 18, 2024
HomeWorld NewsGermany will donate all remaining AstraZeneca vaccines in August

Germany will donate all remaining AstraZeneca vaccines in August

The government decided on Wednesday that Germany will provide all its remaining doses of AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine to underdeveloped countries in August.

The Cabinet has decided to provide at least 500,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine to the Covax consortium, which aims to ensure access to vaccines in poor countries. So far, almost all vaccinations have been carried out in rich countries.

Approximately 80% of the donated vaccines will be provided through Covax, and the other 20% will be directly provided to members of the Western Balkans and the Eastern European Union Partnership — Georgia, Moldova, and Ukraine — and Namibia, where Germany used to have a brutal colonial regime.

Critics accuse rich countries of doing too little to ensure that poor countries are not affected by a devastating pandemic.

Due to concerns about AstraZeneca’s side effects and efficacy, most Germans prefer the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine.

This week, Health Minister Jens Spahn announced that those who have received a single dose of AstraZeneca will receive an mRNA vaccine similar to BioNTech/Pfizer or Moderna as a second dose.

Read here | WHO’s Covid weapons war still has a shortfall of $16.8 billion

AstraZeneca vaccine did not appear in Germany’s procurement plan for next year.

So far, China has taken the lead in donating vaccines to Western Balkan countries-Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia and Serbia-which has sparked criticism that the European Union is letting a strategic opponent launch a diplomatic coup in its backyard.

We live in a world where facts and fiction are blurred

In uncertain times, you need news that you can trust.Just for R75 per month, You can access a world of in-depth analysis, investigative news, popular opinions, and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.



Source link

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Recent Comments