Port-au-Prince-The civil defense agency of the Caribbean states said the death toll from the devastating earthquake in Haiti last weekend increased by nearly 250 to 2,189 on Wednesday.
The agency said on Twitter: “The death toll from the earthquake was 2,189.”
According to the latest death toll, the earthquake hit southwestern Haiti on Saturday, about 160 kilometers west of the capital Port-au-Prince, and injured more than 12,260 people.
The civil defense agency added that 332 people were reported missing and rescue operations are ongoing.
In this impoverished country still recovering from another devastating earthquake in 2010, tens of thousands of buildings were destroyed.
Haiti is also plagued by gang violence, Covid-19 and political chaos that soared after the assassination of President Jovenel Moise last month.
The government has declared a one-month state of emergency in the four provinces affected by the earthquake.
Don’t miss a story. Choose from our newsletter Send the news you want directly to your inbox.
We live in a world where facts and fiction are blurred
In uncertain times, you need news that you can trust.Just for R75 per month, You can access a world of in-depth analysis, investigative news, popular opinions, and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.



