- The families of the victims of the overpass collapse in Mexico City will receive additional compensation.
- The compensation will increase by 50,000 pesos.
- Preliminary results showed that a structural failure caused the collapse.
Mexico City officials said on Saturday that they will provide financial support totaling nearly 2 million pesos (101,225 U.S. dollars) to the families of victims who died after the subway rail line collapsed onto busy streets.
Officials said at a press conference that the families of the 26 people killed in the May 3 incident will receive an additional 1 million pesos, totalling 1.92 million pesos, and they will receive this money next week.
Mexico City announced for the first time on May 8 that the families of victims will receive an initial compensation of 650,000 pesos from the subway line.
Officials said the price was later increased to 870,000 pesos before the new increase was announced on Saturday. Another 50,000 pesos from the city is also part of the compensation.
Armando Ocampo of the Mexico City Executive Committee for Concern for Victims said: “We will send a notice and start delivering an additional 1 million pesos within this week.”
On May 3, an overpass on Metro Line 12 in the southeast of Mexico City collapsed, triggering an independent investigation into the incident. Preliminary results showed that a structural failure caused the collapse.
A consortium of Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim’s Grupo Carso, Mexico’s Grupo ICA, and France’s Alstom built the 12th line.
Slim said last week that the line was opened without any problems.
President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said after meeting with Slim that the business tycoon will bear the full cost of the reconstruction of the collapsed part, and the government will not bear any costs.
Did you know you can comment on this article? Subscribe to news 24 And add your voice to the conversation.