Saturday, May 23, 2026

Russia tells NATO that it wants a buffer-EURACTIV.com


Russia said on Friday (December 17) that it hopes to obtain a legally binding guarantee that the NATO military alliance will abandon any military activities in Eastern Europe and Ukraine. This is its ambitious desire for security assurances that it hopes to negotiate with the West. Part of the list.

These requirements constitute a package plan. Moscow claims that this is the basic requirement to ease tensions in Europe and resolve the crisis in Ukraine. Western countries accuse Russia of preparing for a potential new attack-but Russia denies this.

But they also contain elements that the West has already excluded-such as Russia’s effective veto power over Ukraine’s accession to NATO.

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Ryabkov made detailed requirements for the first time, telling reporters that the reconstruction of relations between Russia and the West must start from scratch.

He said: “The route taken by the United States and NATO in recent years to actively escalate the security situation is absolutely unacceptable and extremely dangerous.”

“Washington and its NATO allies should immediately cease conventional hostilities against our country, including unplanned exercises, dangerous reconciliations, and warships and aircraft exercises, and stop military development on Ukrainian territory,” he said.

Sam Green, a professor of Russian political science at King’s College London, said on Twitter that President Vladimir Putin is “drawing the line in the post-Soviet era and placing a’prohibition’ sign”. It does not mean to be a treaty: it is a declaration. “

“But this does not necessarily mean that this is a prelude to war. This is a reason to maintain Moscow’s volatile position in order to maintain the balance between Washington and other countries. The question is, how long can it last before it loses its effectiveness?

CAll for the meeting

Ryabukov told reporters that Russia would no longer tolerate the current situation. He urged the US to take these suggestions seriously and respond quickly and constructively.

Ryabkov said that Russia is preparing to start negotiations as early as Saturday, possibly in Geneva, and that its negotiating team is ready.

When asked about the U.S.’s response to the Russian proposal so far, Ryabkov said: “In the broader context, they have not said’no’. They have not said’yes’ to us, but they have not said’yes’ to us. Did not say’no’.”

As Russia’s build-up of troops near Ukraine led to increased tensions, Moscow handed over its proposal to the United States earlier this week.

Russia said it is responding to threats to its own security posed by Ukraine’s growing relationship with NATO and its desire to join the alliance, although the prospect of Ukraine being allowed to join is not imminent.

RIA News Agency summarized the main points of the Moscow proposal as:

-Rule out the possibility of further expansion of NATO and Ukraine joining the alliance

– Do not deploy additional troops and weapons outside the country where it is located in May 1997 (before any Eastern European country joins the alliance) – except under special circumstances agreed by Russia and NATO member states

– Abandon any NATO military activities in Ukraine, Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia

-Do not deploy short- and medium-range missiles where they can hit the opponent’s territory

– Do not conduct exercises with more than one military brigade in the agreed border area, and exchange information about military exercises on a regular basis

– Confirm that the two parties do not regard each other as opponents and agree to resolve all disputes peacefully without the use of force

– Commitment not to create conditions that may be seen as a threat by the other party

– Create a hotline for emergency contacts.





Source link

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img