Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s power game and extreme partisanship leadership in the Senate provide the best reason to eliminate minority and majority leadership positions from the way Congress operates. The obstructionist views of McConnell’s leadership of the Republican Party are pushing the United States into an authoritarian system of government. For many years, he has been secretly attacking democracy. When Barack Obama was elected president in 2008, he arrogantly announced that he would do his best to ensure that Obama is a president. Since President Joe Biden was elected, he has declared, “He will try 100% of his efforts to block the president’s agenda.” McConnell has never expressed an open attitude to working with the Democratic Party in his public speeches. This power-hungry old man demonized, opposed and blamed the Democratic Party, and did not show any behavior that caused the two parties to cooperate.
For many years, political circles have been analyzing McConnell’s brand of political corruption. By definition, a person does not have to commit an indictable crime to be corrupt. The World Bank defines corruption as “A kind A form of dishonesty or criminal offence committed by an individual or organization authorized to obtain an illegal identityTon For personal gain or abuse of power… These forms of corruption are common in authoritarian, oligarchic, and mafia countries, and the former president, with the support of McConnell, used it as a model for governing the United States. Thanks to the judiciary, democracy has survived Trump, and investigations are advancing to reveal the rampant corruption of the previous administration, including McConnell’s corrupt Senate.
April 2020, Republic report Summarizes reporter Jane Mayer’s report on corrupt McConnell. She called him “a powerful politician who seems to have no moral compass and firm values, but a strong desire to increase his power by helping deep-rooted special interest groups that fund his political interests.” His failed job Performance (in addition to his success in obstruction and political hypocrisy) includes the failure to consistently pass important legislation and Kentucky’s overall ranking as a state 45th. He opposed the passage of the bill proposed by the Democratic Party because Biden is the president and failed to enact legislation that addresses the real issues affecting the health, voting rights, security, racial justice, and income of the American people.
In an interview with the Vox article in April 2020, Jane Meyers cited some examples that show McConnell’s hypocrisy, dishonesty, and inconsistent ideology, which can best be described as obsessed with “victory worship.” When it benefits Republicans and their platforms, he violates the rules and opposes anything about Democrats for no reason. This kind of behavior is corrupt because it is not based on honesty or precedent, but an abuse of his power as the leader of the majority party. Mayer gave examples in the article, including:
- After the rebellion, Cornell immediately declared that Trump was directly responsible for inciting the attack, and then blocked the vote to form a congressional committee to investigate.
- McConnell’s staff took tens of millions of dollars from undisclosed donors
- I used to write three things politically needed on the blackboard: money, money, money
- There is no reliable clean water in Kentucky, but McConnell has economic ties to the company that caused the water problem
- McConnell is currently the biggest recipient of the Senate campaign donations for the pharmaceutical industry. He condemned the efforts to reduce the cost of medicines as “socialist price control.”“
- He proposed an amendment to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Prevention and Public Health Fund to cancel funding for infectious disease control
- In 2017, McConnell’s corrupt wife Zhou Yilian was investigated by the Secretary of Transportation for abusing her power. McConnell refused to avoid being involved in the case.
- In 2016, he blocked President Obama’s nomination of Merritt Garland on the grounds that it was too close to the next presidential election. Then he hypocritically allowed Trump to nominate Amy Connie-Barrett to appear in court a few weeks before the 2020 presidential election.
- McConnell is the largest recipient of donations from pharmaceutical companies and has voted against lowering drug prices.
To quote the conservative political scientist Norman Orenstein: “McConnell will go down in history as one of the most important people who undermine the foundations of our constitutional democracy. No one is as corrupt as violating government norms.