Sunday, May 24, 2026

The European Union, the United Nations, and the United States condemn Guinea’s coup-EURACTIV.com


The European Union, the United Nations and the United States condemned the military coup in Guinea on Sunday (September 5).

On Sunday, special forces soldiers appeared to overthrow Guinea’s long-serving president and told the country that they had disbanded the government and constitution, and closed the land and air borders.

“I condemn the military takeover in Guinea, and I call for the immediate release of President Alfa Conte,” EU Foreign Affairs Director Jose Puborel wrote on Twitter.

As the United Nations condemned any takeover by force and economic groups in West Africa threatened to retaliate, Mamady Doumbouya, the head of the elite forces, stated that “poverty and local corruption” forced his troops to take Conde. The president is removed from office.

“We have disbanded the government and institutions,” Dumbua, a former French foreign legionnaire, said on national television, wearing the flag of Guinea and surrounded by eight other armed soldiers. “We want to rewrite the constitution together.”

On Sunday morning, gunfire broke out near the presidential palace in the capital Conakry. A few hours later, a video shared on social media showed Kant in a room surrounded by army special forces, but Reuters could not immediately confirm.

The U.S. State Department issued a statement entitled “On the military seizure of power in Guinea” and stated: “The United States condemns the incident that took place in Conakry today.”

It said violence and any extra-constitutional measures would only erode the prospects for peace, stability and prosperity in Guinea, adding: “These actions may limit the ability of the United States and other international partners in Guinea to support the country’s national unity and the brighter Guinea’s people. future.”

Military sources said the president was taken to an undisclosed location, and the troops under Doumbouya — one of the sources, a close colleague, described as calm and reserved — also arrested several others.

The source said, including senior government officials.

The military government, which seemed to have seized power, later stated that Conte was not harmed, his health was protected, and he could see a doctor.

They said in a statement read by the National Broadcasting Corporation that outgoing ministers and agency heads were invited to a meeting in Parliament on Monday morning.

“Any failure to attend will be considered a rebellion against CNRD,” the organization said when referring to its chosen name, the National Assembly and Development Commission (CNRD).

Guinea’s main opposition leader, Cellou Dalein Diallo, denied the rumors that he was one of the detainees.

Taxes and protests

Conte won his third term in October after amending the constitution to allow him to stand again, sparking violent protests from the opposition.

In recent weeks, the government has significantly increased taxes to replenish the national treasury and raised fuel prices by 20%, causing widespread dissatisfaction.

By Sunday night, it was unclear whether Doumbouya had full control, and the Ministry of Defense issued a statement stating that the attack on the presidential palace had been repelled.

But United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres stated that he strongly condemned “any act of taking over the government by force” and called for the immediate release of Conte.

The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) threatened to take action after its chairman, Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo, called it an attempted coup.

The African Union said it would convene an emergency meeting and take “appropriate measures”, while the leading force in the region, the Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, called for the restoration of constitutional order.

A video shared on social media showed earlier that military vehicles were patrolling Conakry. A military source said that the only bridge connecting the mainland and the Kalum neighbourhood had been blocked. The Kalum neighbourhood was the palace and most Where the government department is located.

“The rich are laughing at us”

By noon, when the shooting stopped, the residents ventured back to the streets of the capital to celebrate the apparent success of the uprising.

An eyewitness from Reuters saw pickup trucks and military vehicles accompanied by motorcyclists honking their horns and cheering onlookers. “Guinea is free! Great,” a woman shouted from the balcony.

Alexis Arieff of the US Congressional Research Service said that although mutinies and coups in West Africa are nothing new, there has been a “significant democratic regression” in the region in recent years.

In the past year, the leaders of Conte and Côte d’Ivoire have moved their legislative goals to extend their presidency, while Mali has experienced two military coups and Chad has experienced a coup.

Thanks to its wealth of bauxite, iron ore, gold and diamonds, Guinea has achieved sustained economic growth during the ten years of Conte’s administration.

But few citizens saw the benefits. Critics said his government used restrictive criminal laws to deter dissent, while ethnic divisions and local corruption intensified political confrontation.

“Although the president has declared everywhere that he wants to implement different governance by eliminating corruption, the misappropriation of public funds is increasing. The new rich are laughing at us,” Arasane Diallo, a Conakry resident, told Reuters.

“It is all this that makes the military easier.”





Source link

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img