Friday, May 22, 2026

Ministers under fire at 69 pence per minute helpline for EU citizens | Brexit


The government came under fire after charging a 69p per minute helpline fee for EU citizens trying to prove their right to stay in the country afterwards to landlords or employers. Brexit.

Caller “Check and prove” immigration status Before talking to the assistant, the phone number 0300-790 6268 must also pre-authorize the potential £5 credit on the bank card.

Activists in three million The organization has now written to the future Minister of Borders and Immigration, Kevin Foster, to protest the 15-minute aid cost of £10.35.

They said these allegations “contrary to the assurances recently made by the High Court” and “cause a lot of trouble.”

Earlier this year, the activist group failed in a court application to force the government to issue a physical document to EU citizens to prove their right to work and live in the UK after Brexit.

However, at the hearing work from home Tell the judge that “the defendant will not charge a call fee.”

Under the post-Brexit system, work from home Generate a “shared code” that lasts for 30 days to allow EU citizens to prove that they have the right to rent or work in the UK.

But the3million stated that it is concerned that those who do not have digital literacy and those who are trying to prove their status in the first place will need help lines for those who encounter technical failures.

“This will have huge consequences not only for those who are struggling with digital technology, but also for those who have discovered a technical failure in the digital state, and for those who cannot convince employers, landlords or other service providers to participate.

Spokesperson Mike Born said: “The only mitigation provided by the Ministry of the Interior is the overburdened telephone helpline. In addition to their regular call charges, charging someone more than £10 for 15 minutes of calling is even more hurtful.

In the letter to Foster, the 3 million members cited three types of technical vulnerabilities that hinder the daily lives of EU citizens, including incorrect messages for people who update their identity documents or contact details.

The organization also told him that the “View and Prove” service incorrectly described those who had lived in the country for less than five years with a pre-determined identity as limited to six months.

Part of the problem seems to be related to the lack of clear communication. The helpline does not involve EU citizens or settlement status on its initial voice menu.

The Ministry of the Interior stated that there is a no-charge option on the menu.



Source link

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img