A condemning report revealed that rape survivors who arrived in the UK by boat crossing the English Channel were ignored by the authorities, while others were not treated adequately for life-altering injuries.
Inspectors found that suicidal women who had been raped by human smugglers did not receive adequate support after arriving in the UK.
A girl suffered fuel burns on a ship while crossing the English Channel and was ignored for two days, leaving her with a lifelong scar. It was found.
These disclosures appeared in reports from prison inspectors and independent inspectors who checked the conditions of detention of immigrants detained on the coast of Kent.
They said that despite the improvement in the previous situation, the detention conditions for newcomers are still “very poor.” work from home Guarantee that it will make significant improvements.
Inspectors said they did not find any evidence that experts provided support to vulnerable detainees.
“A woman was detained for nearly a day after disclosing that she had been raped by smugglers several times before she left. France.
“She was described as suicidal and’uncomfortable’. After her release, she was placed in an unsuitable initial residence, while housing both male and female asylum seekers,” the report said.
Another woman revealed that she had been raped twice on the way to the UK, but her condition was not followed up. According to the report, another woman was detained overnight before it was revealed that she was “sold” to a man as a domestic servant, and then detained for another 20 hours.
HM Prison Chief Inspector Charlie Taylor stated that the Ministry of the Interior has not done enough to improve the facilities since the last inspection in September 2020 and found that the facilities were rudimentary.
“It is not clear why this delay occurred after the Ministry of Interior gave us assurances after our last inspection. Leaders told us that there were difficulties in coordinating the various partners that needed to cooperate, but this was not enough to explain,” he said .
The Dover Independent Monitoring Board (IMB), which monitors detention facilities in the Kent Strait, stated that it is “extremely concerned” about the continuing and deteriorating conditions in Dover and believes that these issues should be highlighted as a matter of urgency.
It found that immigrants face being held in increasingly cold conditions. Children, including toddlers and infants, were held overnight at Tug Haven, the initial entry point.
The report stated that the new arrivals, some of whom were splashed with hot fuel on the ship, had evidence of serious injuries.
“A 16-year-old girl had fuel burns on her leg and spent two days in Tug Haven in wet clothes. She was not found injured until she was sent to the air intake unit in Kent.
The report said: “At this time, the seams of her clothes have been embedded in the burns. A doctor reported that the girl is likely to be scarred for life.”
Mrs. Anne Owers, the national chairperson of the IMB, stated that urgent action is needed. “The IMB continues to raise very serious concerns about the conditions and treatment of detainees across the Strait, whether on their first arrival or on subsequent journeys through the detention system, which ultimately led to the events described in these reports.”
On Tuesday, the Department of the Interior confirmed that by January 2022, part of the Department of Defense (MoD) site in Manston, Kent, will be used as a processing site for new immigrants.
The secure site will be able to “detain people for up to five days while conducting security and preliminary asylum processing checks.”
The constituency councillor Sir Roger Gale did not welcome the statement, telling the House of Commons that the website was “inappropriate”.
When raising an urgent question, the North Thanet lawmaker said: “There is no indication of how the site will accommodate these people, how it will ensure safety or what facilities will be provided, except for the statutory [rules] On-site medical services”.
“If the Minister now instructs the team to follow my requirements, I would be very grateful: shelve this unacceptable and unfeasible proposal, and review feasible alternatives appropriately, thoroughly and quickly. If doing so, he will Have consultations that should have been held a few weeks ago?” he said.
Home Affairs Minister Tom Persgrove told Gayle: “Consultations are ongoing, including with local authorities, including the NHS, and of course, with him as a member of the parliament constituency, and with the police.”
A spokesperson for the Ministry of Interior said: “Tragedy of last month This is a devastating reminder of the dangers of strait crossings, which is why we are overhauling our broken shelter system to protect lives and ensure that human smugglers cannot profit from this crime.
“We attach great importance to the welfare of those under our care. Since these inspections, we have been improving facilities and are opening new safety facilities.”



