This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (full disclosure)
this BBQ Chicken Salad The recipe feels like summer on a plate, but the ingredients are so versatile and common you can make them any time of year. It’s also great for using up things you always have on hand.I make it when I have leftovers Grilled Chicken Breast, hard boiled eggsBBQ sauce, and ranch dressing in my freezer.It breathes new life into these “boring” staples—and this salad is anything But that.Great for meat lovers and Salad lovers!
Why You’ll Love This BBQ Chicken Salad Recipe
- Fresh vegetables, sweet tomatoes, creamy avocado, crispy bacon and juicy chicken
- Smoky BBQ Sauce, Creamy Ranch Sauce
- simple, common ingredients
- Easy to customize to suit your preferences and dietary needs
- Rich in protein – perfect healthy lunch or dinner!
- Great for using up prepared staples like cooked chicken, bacon, and hard-boiled eggs
Ingredients and Substitutes
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for your Copycat Panera BBQ Chicken Salad, the role each ingredient plays in the recipe, and substitution options.For measurements, see recipe card below.
- bacon – For easy cleanup, I like to do bacon in the oven. You can also make Air Fryer Bacon or faster bacon in the microwave as well as.
- corn cake – I made my own crunchy cornflakes out of tortilla chips, but you can easily use crushed cornflakes for a healthier twist Almond Flour NachosOr omit chips altogether.
- cooking spray – Use to crisp up tortilla bars. Avocado oil spray is my favorite, but olive and coconut oil sprays work well too.
- lettuce – Use any veggies you like! Iceberg lettuce, kale, arugula, and spinach can be excellent substitutes.
- cherry tomatoes – You can also slice regular tomatoes, grape tomatoes, or even add sun dried tomatoes.
- hard boiled eggs – I use This method is very easy to peel eggsbut you can also make Air Fryer Boiled Eggs even Boiled Eggs in the Oven. Of course, if you have any on hand, use them up!
- cooked boneless skinless chicken breast – I like to use up leftover chicken from this BBQ Chicken Salad recipe, cubed or shredded.If you don’t have one, store bought rotisserie chicken is the fastest Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is the next best thing.You can also choose Pan-fried Chicken BreastRoast chicken if it’s nice outside, or Grilled Chicken Breast.
- cheese – I used Colby Jack cheese cubes, but you can substitute whatever you like. Monterey jack, mozzarella, feta, blue cheese, or cheddar would all work.
- corn kernels – These are optional, but can add a bit of crunch and subtle sweetness to the smokiness in the salad. I used canned corn for convenience, but you can also throw in leftover corn on the cob.
- black beans – extra texture and protein. You can substitute a different type of bean if you like, or omit it entirely.
- avocado – I add these to salads almost every chance I get! Make sure it’s nice and cooked.
- BBQ Ranch Sauce – I think this salad tastes best when combined with ranch dressing and BBQ dressing.I use homemade ranch dressing and Sugar Free BBQ Sauce I have on hand (both can be made quickly with clean ingredients!), but of course your favorite BBQ sauce and ranch from the store will work too.
- fresh chives – These are optional, but I think fresh herbs would add a nice touch. You can also top the Grilled Chicken Salad with chopped shallots, red onions, fresh cilantro, fresh parsley, or omit.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Salad
This section shows how to make the best BBQ chicken salad recipe, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique to help you visualize it.For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see recipe card below.
- Cook the bacon. chef Put the bacon in the oven according to the instructions here. Let cool and chop or crumble the bacon into small pieces.
- Make nachos (optional). Cut tortillas into thin strips, if using.put in one bakeware. Spray strips with cooking spray and a pinch of salt. Bake until lightly browned and crispy.
- Assemble the BBQ Chicken Salad. Spread chopped lettuce on a large serving platter, in a large bowl, or on individual plates. Top with tomatoes, bacon, eggs, chicken, cheese, corn and beans (if using), avocado, and tortilla strips (if using).
- Finish the dressing. Drizzle ranch dressing and barbecue sauce over salad. Sprinkle with fresh chives (if using).
- shop: Store leftover BBQ Ranch Chicken Salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. If you don’t add the dressing, it will last for a few days. For best results, store cornflakes separately.
- Meal Prep: Chop vegetables, prepare eggs for poaching, and cook and chop meat ahead of time. Store individually in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
Tip: Use a glass jar for a meal-prep BBQ Chicken Salad!
Simply place the ingredients in the glass jar in the following order: ranch sauce, BBQ sauce, cooked chicken, beans, corn, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, chives, and cornflakes. They will stay that way for up to 5 days! Add fresh avocado just before serving.
What to Serve with BBQ Chicken Salad
BBQ Chicken Salad is filling on its own, so you don’t need to mix anything! But if you want to add something, here are some ideas:
More Chicken Salad Recipes
Chicken and salad are one! Try more ways to serve them these easy dishes:
BBQ Chicken Salad
This BBQ Chicken Salad recipe features juicy chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, avocado and BBQ ranch dressing. A healthy and filling meal!
Prepare: 15 minute
chef: 30 minute
all: 45 minute
Serving Size: 8 (adjust according to recipe)
Click on the underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn off Safari reader mode to view ingredients.
Click a time in the instructions below to start the kitchen timer while you cook.
chef Put the bacon in the oven according to the instructions here. Pat with paper towels and cool slightly. Chop or crumble the bacon into small pieces.
If using optional tortilla chips, reduce oven temperature to 375°F (191°C). Cut tortillas into 2-inch strips.Spaced out on parchment lined bakeware. Spray tortilla strips lightly with nonstick cooking spray and a pinch of salt.Tortilla Treat 10 minutesor until lightly browned and crisp.
Put chopped lettuce in a large serving platter or individual plates.
Top the lettuce with tomatoes, followed by bacon, eggs, chicken, cheese, corn and beans (if using), avocado, and tortilla strips.
Drizzle ranch dressing and barbecue sauce over salad. Sprinkle chives on top, if desired.
Last Step: Leave a Rating!
Share your recipe image by tagging @wholesomeyum and tag it with #wholesomeyum exist instagram – I would love to see it!
Serving Size: 2 cups
Nutritional information does not include optional ingredients.
Amount per serving. Serving sizes in recipe instructions above.
fat 34.2 grams
protein 32.2 grams
total carbohydrates 12.2 grams
net carbs 5.9 grams
fiber 6.3 grams
sugar 3.9 grams
Nutrition facts are provided politely. Questions about calculations or why are you getting different results?Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please do not screenshot or copy/paste the recipe to social media or websites. We would love for you to share a link with a photo. 🙂