Review – I reviewed recently Proscenic’s air purifier, A design for handling up to 1,000 square feet of space. This is a good purifier, the size is also suitable for our house, but I want to find a smaller one that works well in the apartment.I tested it before A pair of earplugs from TaoTronics, I like it a lot, so when they offered the opportunity to test TaoTronics air purifiers, I decided to give it a try.
what is it?
TaoTronics air purifier (model TT-AP008) is designed for rooms ranging from 100 to 300 square feet. It has a two-stage filter, four fan speeds, a sleep mode and a timer. TaoTronics is a consumer electronics brand Sun Valley Group, China Electronics Enterprise.
What’s in the box?
- TaoTronics air purifier with filter
- User manual
- Maximum coverage: 312 feet2
- CADR: 176 CFM
- Time mode: 2, 4 or 8 hours
- Noise level: 33-60 decibels
- Dimensions: 5 x 9.5 x 9.5 inches
- Weight: 8 pounds
Design and features
TaoTronics air purifiers have a fairly common design. It is a round white cylinder with small holes all around for air intake, and the curved vent at the top is used for exhaust. There is a logo and a soothing blue LED ring on the front, a control panel on the top, and a large handle on the back. In general, it is a beautiful-looking gadget that can be put in any office, living room or bedroom.
Installation and setup
The air purifier is housed in a tall, bright orange and white box. I took it out of the protective case and put it on the table. I found the settings section in the manual, and it told me that I need to remove the filter from the plastic packaging. On the side of the purifier were a pair of locks that indicated the direction of rotating the lid, so with the help of my wife-it was very stiff-I unlocked it and removed it.
I found the air filter inside, but it does not have any packaging, which is suspicious. It’s like opening the lid of a new bottle of aspirin and discovering that there is no protective seal. Does this mean TaoTronics does not protect their filters? Are they selling old ones for new ones? I don’t know, but I think if I buy this filter and find the package is missing, I will return another one or refund. However, for this review, I just put the filter back in place and locked the lid back in place.
When I inserted the filter, the power indicator on the control panel glowed a faint blue light, indicating that it was ready!
TaoTronics air purifiers are controlled by a control panel located at the top of the exhaust port. TaoTronics does a great job and makes it very simple to use. There is no need for a mobile application, no need to connect to the Internet, and no need to send your personal data to China. Touching the glowing blue power indicator will turn on the soft blue ring light on the front. The other indicators light up for a while and then go out. If I touch any indicator lights to control the filters, they will light up, making it easy for me to see where they are, and then after a while, they will go off again.
TaoTronics air purifier has three control methods:
- The sleep indicator makes the air purifier enter sleep mode. This will set the fan to ultra-low speed and turn off all LEDs, including the ring light on the front. I really like this feature because TaoTronics has done everything possible to ensure that the air purifier filters the air without waking up people who are not sleeping like me.
- The fan indicator turns the speed from low to intermediate to high to turbo, and then back to low again. As I expected, the faster the fan, the more air is drawn in through the filter, and the more air is discharged, and the faster the air is purified. At the lowest two speeds, the purifier is quiet. I have been running this on the low settings of my office (approximately 156 square feet), and I never noticed that it was on. At high places, its sound is moderate, while in the turbocharger, its sound is very loud, not at the point where it is impossible to talk, but at the level where I prefer to move to the next room.
- The timer indicator sets the length of time the purifier runs before it automatically shuts down. The choices are two hours, four hours, or eight hours.
It is worth noting that one feature is missing: an air quality sensor. TaoTronics air purifiers do not have a mechanism to detect when there is smoke or pollen in the air and then activate the fan to respond. It’s up to me to sense the problem and turn on the filter if necessary.
TaoTronics air purifiers have only two-stage filtration systems:
- The first stage is a pre-filter for larger particles (such as hair). It also has an activated carbon filter that can absorb odors and volatile organic compounds (VOC), which can be emitted as gases from certain solids or liquids.
- The second stage is the H13 True HEPA filter, which is a medical grade filter with a particle retention rate of up to 99.95% and can capture air pollutants as small as 0.3 microns. This is why pollen, smoke and dust mites are removed.
TaoTronics air purifiers arrived after the pollen season, so I had to find another way to test its effectiveness. I lit three candles in the office, let them burn for ten minutes, and then blew them out. The room was filled with the smell of candles and smoke. Then I took the candle out of the office, closed the door, adjusted the filter up, and set a timer to see how long it took to filter out the air. After 35 minutes, even if I leave the room and come back, I can hardly smell the smell of candles or smoke. I also tested the timer function and it worked exactly as expected. It ran for two hours and then stopped.
TaoTronics recommends that I change the filter every three months, depending on usage and my air quality. At first, I couldn’t find the replacement filter because the link to the replacement filter on their Amazon page was 404, and there was no link on TaoTronics’ own website. When I asked TaoTronics’ technical support for the link to purchase the filter, they only sent me the ASIN number (B08Q7B3VS3), but it didn’t help. Julie sent an email to their marketing team, and they finally realized the problem and fixed it. (What would TaoTronics do without us?) The good news is The replacement filter is now available on Amazon US$29.99. (*notes* Taotronics products are not currently listed on Amazon. I will update the air filter replacement information as soon as possible. )
An LED on the control panel is a filter replacement indicator; it will flash when the filter needs to be replaced. There is also a reset indicator, which I should press after replacing it.
The strangest part of TaoTronics air purifier is its handle. It is a good idea to have a handle. The air purifier is about a foot and a half tall. Although it is not that heavy, it is a bit awkward to move, especially with only one hand. The handle makes it easy to move, but its appearance does not match the rest of the purifier. It is made of faux leather and has a tan color. I think it looks strange to be bolted on the back.
The manual is very long, with 23 pages of English instructions and comprehensive content. English is rough in some places, but I can understand everything needed to use a purifier and clean regularly. This manual contains an email for TaoTronics support.
what do I like
- Cylindrical design
- Easy-to-use control panel
- High efficiency filter
- Quiet filter and dim LED lighting
What will i change
- Handle suitable for air purifier design
TaoTronics air purifier has a simple and practical design. It is quiet at low settings and has very little light pollution; the sleep mode is very suitable for light sleepers. It has an H13 True HEPA filter that prevents odors, pollen and dust from entering small and medium-sized rooms. The handle seems a bit out of sync with the rest of the design, but at least it can easily move the air purifier. Need to buy replacement filters regularly. I like this air purifier and I especially recommend it to apartment residents.